Thread: Zimbra To Zimbra Migration WITHOUT losing preferences

Hybrid View

Question Zimbra To Zimbra Migration WITHOUT losing preferences

Hello

We'd like to migrate some of our users from a Network Edition install of 6.0.15 to ZCS appliance v8.0.2 for tests (ultimately, it should be a "proper" installation of ZCS NE, but that's not yet determined and out of scope for this post). I've read the documenation zmztozmig, including the Wiki entry. There (and elsewhere), I read that account preferences are not imported on the new server.

For migrating the mail filter sieve script, I've read Zimbra mailbox import/export and migration of e-mail filter rules « Spheron1, which tells you to do zmprov ga user@test.com zimbraMailSieveScript to get a dump and import that. Fine. I can do that.

What other "important" settings do I lose, when I migrate with zmztozmig?

From that Spheron1 post, I get that zimbraPrefMailSignatureHTML and zimbraPrefOutOfOfficeReply will also be missing. And I understand that shared items will also be gone (ie. the setting who can access a shared item).

Or, maybe, can you suggest a route/tool which would allow to do the migration without losing preferences and anything else? Would the ZeXtras migration tool be the way to go? Also for Network Edition users? It lists that ZCA (appliance) is "untested".

Thanks,
    Alexander

The zextras solution should fits your needs, I've already imported a domain with about 100GB to a ZCA 8.0.1. ZCA seems to be not tested, but AFAIK it should be quite equal to the ZCS.

My 2 cents
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti

federico.bertola,

Thanks. It's a pity that zextras requires mailboxd to be restarted. A pity, but understandable. Makes installation a bit more complicated, as it requires a downtime.

Or would any of you know if it's possible to "hack install" zextras WITHOUT needing to restart mailboxd?

Regards,
    Alexander

Being the core part of ZeXtras a Zimbra extension, it needs to be initialized when the mailboxd service starts.
    However, only the mailboxd service is restarted, and the installer is made to make the downtime as low as possible, in my case, less than 1 minute (ldap, mysql, postfix and other stuff are not restarted).
    Federico Bertola
    CTO @ StudioStorti

federico.bertola,

is it really enough to install/use the ZeXtras migration tool? According to the ZeXtras Migration Tool Guide → Migration Checklist, I also need:

ZeXtras Suite, with the ZxBackup module activated, on the DESTINATION machine. Both Paid License and Trial Mode will do.

And skimming through the Install & Setup ZeXtras Forum, I find this post: ZCS Open Source 8 over ZCA - compatible?. It reads as if ZCA isn't supported.

Regards,
    Alexander