Thread: hide distribution lists in Client UI

Hybrid View

Question hide distribution lists in Client UI

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how I can hide the Distribution lists in the client web interface?

I ran the following two command on each list
    Code:
    for i in $(zmprov gadl); do zmprov grr dl $i dom mydomain.com -sendToDistList; zmprov grr dl $i dom mydomain.com -viewDistList; done
    Now clients can't access the content of the list, nor can they use them without getting a "permission denied" message, but they can still see them. How do I hide them?

Thanks for any help or pointers to documentation.

better disable from the cos .

Quote Originally Posted by Raunaq View Post
    better disable from the cos .
    Hi Raunaq,

I'm very sorry for such a late reply but Zimbra was put on the back burner... we had a problem in production that took priority over this.

My initial idea was to use the GUI to do this but Zimbra 8.0.2 seems to have a bug (79171) that prevents me to access my COS. So I tried the command line but wasn't very successful.

If anyone knows the equivalent CLI command I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll wait for 8.0.3 and concentrate on other tasks. I was doing a test upgrade so nothing is pressing.

Thank you for your help.

Rather than creating a new post, I'll revive my old post which is still relevant and might help someone get a solution rather than dead-end here.

So 8.0.3 does fix the GUI display problem and I was able to modify the distribution list to be hidden in the client's GAL but I the results I get are not what I expected.

In ZCS 7.x when you hide the distribution list, the client sees no reference to it. It seems that in ZCS 8.x, under "address books", one can see a "distribution lists" folder containing distribution lists. Granted you can not see the users in the list and get a message "You are a member of this list.
    You cannot unsubscribe yourself from the list." but why show them at all?

Can I get the result I had in version 7 and completely hide any trace of a distribution list?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you view the distribution list in the Admin console and then go to Properties there is a checkbox to Show in the GAL. This hides the list for me both from auto-complete and when going to the Distribution List section of the address book.

Thanks for your reply but I got that one figured out. What seems to be the case in ZCS 8.x is this:

When the "hide in GAL" box is checked:
    - If you are part of a distribution list, that list will be listed in the "distribution list folder" but will show no users
    - If you are not part of a distribution list, that list will not be displayed but the "distribution list folder" will still be visible.

Can anyone confirm this is the behaviour in 8.x?

What I'd expect is for the "distribution list folder" to not be visible at all unless the user is part of an unhidden distribution list (just like in 7.x).

Your thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by ecobrazim; 06-05-2013 at 01:15 AM.