Thread: Zimbra ethernet bonding

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra ethernet bonding

Hello

I was wondering about zimbra and ethernet bonding using ifenslave on an Ubuntu server. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Is it a better idea not to bond the interfaces? Are there any catastrophic consequences? Would it increase the load and cause issues with mail delivery? I have had a quick search about and seen that there are a few references to bonding but can't see a discussion on the upsides and downsides of using bonding.

Ajcody-Notes-ServerPlanning - Zimbra :: Wiki

From what I understand of ethernet bonding, which is dependent on the bond mode chosen, you get a gain by having multiple 10/100 or 10/100/1000 adapters for traffic to be routed through

Ubuntu bonding documentation
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBonding

Thanks in advance
    Feighen

Zimbra won't really care. Unless you have a ton of users doing a lot of traffic I doubt you're pushing even 100mbps to your zimbbra server, so the big benefit of bonding is that you have redundancy should one nic,cable, or port fail. But to zimbra it doesn't care if you have 1 or 10 network interfaces as long as one of them is providing IP connectivity

Fully agree with bdial. If you feel you need to bond interfaces for high traffic then before doing that I would look at your disk subsystem and ensure that is up to scratch