Thread: Zimbra v8 NE Server Sizing help

Hybrid View

Default Zimbra v8 NE Server Sizing help

Hello Friends,

I need help about a ZIMBRA v8 NE installation.

Existing user data is about 2.5 TB , as per the Zimbra Blog (6 Tips for a Smooth Zimbra Server Install :: Zimbra :: Blog) I have calculated the resulting data volume to be around 7 TB.

Please suggest Server Sizing for this setup. It will be installed on RHEL 6.3 64bit running on VMWare ESX infrastructure. Mail migration will be done using IMAPSYNC (Already tested, working)

I will also need a guideline for Partition Scheme to be used (on LVM) to store such large data volume.

It would be helpful to know how many mailboxes and the daily volume of email messages.

Best regards,
    Mark

Total mailboxes are about 8K. Daily mail volume approx 50MB-150MB/user.

I'd recommend something along the lines of the following:

• Two MTA/Proxy/LDAP Replica servers
    • Single LDAP Master/Logger host server
    • Four Mailbox servers of 2,000 mailboxes each

For the Mailbox servers I'd use four CPU cores and 24GB of RAM, with a 50GB partition for / and however many TB you need per server for /opt. You may wish to present slower, less expensive storage to Zimbra for backups mounted to /opt/zimbra/backup. If you have a SAN which does intelligent autotiering between spindles of different speeds, then there is no need to put /opt/zimbra/backup on a separate partition nor to enable HSM. FWIW We late last year started deploying EqualLogic blended SSD and spinning disk SANs and it has simplified our storage/partitioning management while lowering costs and improving utilization and performance.

For the other servers a single 50GB partition should be fine. But if you wish to keep syslogs for a long time then on the LDAP Master/Logger host you could present a separate partition for /var/log. The LDAP Master/Logger server will be fine with two CPU cores but the MTA servers will definitely need four cores for all of the Amavis processes. I would also recommend on the MTA servers mounting Amavis's tmp directory on a RAM disk sized appropriately.

We have seen single Zimbra servers with as many as 6,000 mailboxes each, but in our experience "heavy use" mailbox servers start displaying performance degradation when more than 2,000 mailboxes are present.

IMAP clients can open many threads and you can test during the migration using imapsync to starve the Zimbra mailbox servers of IMAP threads to simulate normal loads and see if you need to tweak that setting or not.

For higher security deployments you can put the LDAP Master, MTA servers, and mailbox servers in three separate firewall zones, exposing only the MTA servers to the public Internet.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

P.S. For D/R if you don't wish to use VMware's Site Recovery Manager you can, if you have good connectivity, put a Zimbra replica LDAP server in a separate data center and then use redo log shipping to keep the D/R site up to date. In Zimbra 8 it's much easier to convert an LDAP replica to be a Master. The process is in the Admin Guide.

Thanks for the detailed guide. I will keep posting.
    Please clarify if following features could be enabled/enhanced in current version of VMWare Zimbra Collaboration Suite v8 (either OpenSource or in Network Edition)

1.) Mail Message Recall - Within the organization.

2.) Incoming E-Mail to text conversion for some particular mailboxes and store in .txt files at OS Level

3.) Custom Auto reply configuration for certain mailboxes. (not Out Of Office/ Vacation Reply). Message may include text/html/graphics/attachments.

4.) Mail outgoing & incoming should not be stopped even after provided mailbox quota is reached. Only an over quota warning message will be displayed to the user after each incoming & outgoing mails.

5.) Message tracking. - Admin or user should be able to see the status of a sent mail - viewed/deleted/forwarded/moved to folder etc ..

6.) Add custom LDAP field like - employee ID, dept in the users Contact Info.

If possible, how to enable them , if 3rd party zimlets / custom scripting / application required what will be the tentative costs ?