I did an upgrade of Zimbra 7.2.2 to Zimbra 8.0.2 on Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS using the package zcs-8.0.2_GA_5569.UBUNTU10_64.20121210115101.

There are several email accounts in the existing 7.2.2 version and they are fully functional. The upgrade run with no errors (with the exception that the script reported that the spam/ham accounts already exist, which is not really an error).

But after the upgrade even the admin for the domain can not log in, the same applies to all other users, and the system reports that the account does not exist. Using "zmprov gaaa" does not display any admins after the upgrade (but did before). The same applies to "zmprov -l gaa", no user entries are returned.

But using "ldapsearch -x -H $ldap_master_url -D $zimbra_ldap_userdn -w $zimbra_ldap_password" (following the description on Ajcody-LDAP-Topics - Zimbra :: Wiki) shows all user accounts.

While experimenting in a test environment I created a new admin user on the console, which made things completely weird. Suddenly all users could log on again, but "zmprov -l gaa" still showed nothing. That is I ended up with a corrupted system, where users could log on, but the admin had no control over the accounts.

I am clueless now where I should begin to search for the problem, why the upgrade obviously failed, but no errors were reported, and every service started successfully. And I have been able to reproduce the problem with our LDAP and mailbox data several times on freshly installed Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS systems.

Can anyone help and give advice what to do or where to look for additional information or error logs?

Detlef Grittner