Thread: zmztozmig - What will be lost? Workarounds?

Question zmztozmig - What will be lost? Workarounds?

Hi

I'm evaluating options for migrating our ZCS Network Edition 6.0.15 installation to 8.x (either ZCS NE or ZCA (Appliance)). We've got about 2.500 domains and about 20.000 mailboxes.

I know about the ZeXtras toolkit, but it doesn't work for me (login to admin console hangs/doesn't work - I'm in contact with them). Because of that, I'm looking for other options. One would be to use zmztozmig; for this, I read the Zimbra to Zimbra Migration wiki page.

It says:

Quote Originally Posted by Zimbra to Zimbra Migration wiki page
    When zmztozmig is used to import files, after the data is imported, the data in the accounts on the destination server are not an exact replica of the data in the accounts on the source server. And account preferences are not imported. Also, if the destination accounts do not have the same account IDs as they had on the source server, files that were shared and appointments related to the original sender might not work.
    Account preferences, I might understand and accept, especially seeing that we're going from Zimbra 6 to 8.

But losing shared files and appointments wouldn't be so great. Can you provide some hints, about how I could make sure, that the account IDs match?

And is that truly all that will be lost? What about filter rules and signatures? Do they "survive" a migration — or is that part of the "account preferences"? Any workarounds, to not lose that?

Thanks,
    Alexander

Why Not Upgrade from 6.x to 7.x and then to 8.x . The install.sh should take care of Most of the Compatible Features.

Himanshu,

we also want to change our "architecture"/layout (ie. number of servers, OS and setup).

Hence the question about how to migrate.

Cheers,
    Alexander

Alexander,
    I'd love to hear your story. We're sort of in the same boat. I'm migrating 3000+ accounts from 1 single domain. We are upgrading from RH5 to RH6_64bit. My plan is to migrate just emails using imapsync and then migrate the rest: calendar, brief case, etc. using zmztozmig. Though the zmztozmig documentation doesn't help much. I'm still trying to figure out the differences between message type vs conversation type where Types=message, conversation, contact, etc. I guess since I don't migrate emails using zmztozmig so I can ignore those flags. If someone can shed a light into this that would be great.
    Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ple View Post
    We're sort of in the same boat. I'm migrating 3000+ accounts from 1 single domain. We are upgrading from RH5 to RH6_64bit. My plan is to migrate just emails using imapsync and then migrate the rest: calendar, brief case, etc. using zmztozmig.
    I'm assuming you'll have a second server and if that's the case why don't you use the ZeXtras migration tool?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

ZeXtras doesn't work. I tried it and it basically failed - probably because of peculiarities in our setup, no doubt. But it's too unstable.

However, I've got to say, that I'm totally astonished by the way the handle support - they are totally superb!

How many Servers Currently Do u have ?

Himanshu,

right now, I've got 6 servers:

- 2 "BE" backend servers with mailbox
    - 2 "FE" frontend servers with MTA & Web
    - 2 "DS" directory servers with LDAP

We're thinking about changing the setup so, that we have maybe like 500 domains or 2000 mailboxes per server and have ldap + frontend + mailbox daemons on ONE server. but then have many like 7 servers, or so. Maybe put all of it on one or multiple VMware ESX controlled hosts, so that it's somewhat easy to live migrate, if something gets too crowded.

Or is that a stupid idea? If so, why? What else would you suggest - and why?

Thanks,
    Alexander