I am having problems with the Outlook Connector.
I have Office 2007 with Service Pack 3 with all updates applied.
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 with all updates applied.
Zimbra Outlook Connector 8.0.3.
What happens is I start Outlook, and it tells me that it is synchronizing Email. This is good
The connector then grabs the first 250 or so messages in the inbox. It syncs the Gal and one more Item which I forget.
then it just sits there. Supposedly it is suppose to be synchronizing with the Zimbra server.
I let it sit for 2 hours in one session, the number of messages in the inbox did not increase. The Sync bar that Outlook shows does not move from the 1% position. Next I closed Outlook, rebooted the laptop, and restarted the process. The same thing repeated as above, and I left it run for 4 hours with NO updates from the server.
When I close Outlook, It looks like it closes but when I open up the TASK manager, OUTLOOK.EXE has not left the Processes list. It appears Outlook is locked up (but its not) but it never disappears from the task list. It continues to run using up 50% of the CPU consuming 350K of RAM. The CPU usage goes up and down so it appears its still alive.
I am currently testing Zimbra and the Outlook client.
Thanks for your help.
-- Harold Robinson