Thread: I deleted 25 Gb of email, yet available drive space did not change??

Hybrid View

Richmond, Virginia, United States of America

Question I deleted 25 Gb of email, yet available drive space did not change??

Hi all,

I am running Release 8.0.3_GA_5664.RHEL6_64_20130305090204 CentOS6_64 FOSS edition and am running low on available drive space-- so I started looking for email boxes to clean out. After identifying several system emails which act as archives for us, I use the program Mailstore Home to "archive" the emails. It first synchronizes folders between its local copy and the server IMAP folders. Once the local copy is confirmed/verified, it then deletes the original from the IMAP folder on the server.

Here's the problem... although I successfully archived 140k of 180k emails in an account--which caused the folder size to drop from 13Gb to 3Gb-- the available drive space on the server did not change by much, perhaps 100Mb became available. I repeated this process with other mailboxes, but although I offloaded 25Gb of email, server drive space is almost unchanged.

What do I need to do to free the disk space? I already checked all trash cans and they are all empty.

Thanks!

--Eriks
    Eriks Goodwin-Pfister, CIO
    CarePoint Medical

"People create their own questions because they are afraid to look straight. All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don’t sit looking at it – walk." --Ayn Rand

Do you have "dumpster" enabled on the server ? If you do, the messages will stay in the dumster for 30 days by default before they are deleted and the space freed.

You could check some of the accounts you cleaned up. Right-click on the Trash folder, and see if the "Recover deleted items" option is available. If it is, then that account has the dumpster enabled. Click that link and you will get a list of all the deleted items. If you delete them again from here that will permanently delete them.