Hi everyone,

We have had a couple of customers purchase Office 365 on their own and run into the problem that the Zimbra Connector for Outlook does not work with the locally installed versions of Outlook 2013. I did a search and couldn't find any documentation on the issue so I figured I would let you all know and also ask for some votes for the functionality request I made in Bugzilla: Link to Bugzilla ticket

I know the connector works for Outlook 2013 from the retail edition, the subscription edition through Office 365 must be different enough for this to be an issue.

FYI support's response is that Office 365 is not currently compatible or supported for the ZCO.