Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get a list of all "account alias" ?

Hybrid View

Default How can I get a list of all "account alias" ?

Hi,

I need to list all "valid" accounts on my box. I can get my "distribution lists" using "zmprov gadl" and can get my "account" using "zmprov gaa". But, "zmprov gaa" don't return the "account alias", how can I get a list of the "account alias" ?

I'd be interested in finding this too :/ did you ever get an answer or does anyone know?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

A search of the forums would have found it for you:

Code:
    zmprov ga address@domain | grep Alias
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Kind of a dead thread, but this seemed like a good place to document a quick hack I put together that retrieves all accounts in a zimbra instance and then lists all of the aliases associated with that account. As the Zimbra user:

Code:
    for i in `zmprov gaa`; do echo ""; echo "$i:"; zmprov ga $i | grep MailAlias; done > acounts.txt
    "accounts.txt" will then contain the list of accounts in a nice readable format.

Hope this helps somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by qhartman View Post
    Kind of a dead thread, but this seemed like a good place to document a quick hack I put together that retrieves all accounts in a zimbra instance and then lists all of the aliases associated with that account. As the Zimbra user:

Code:
    for i in `zmprov gaa`; do echo ""; echo "$i:"; zmprov ga $i | grep MailAlias; done > acounts.txt
    "accounts.txt" will then contain the list of accounts in a nice readable format.

Hope this helps somebody.
    Tried to run this but got a permission denied message (yes running as zimbra user).

i believe by default the zimbra user doesn't have write access to /opt/zimbra, which is probably the diretory yyou're trying to run that in. so it can't create the acounts file. i make a /opt/zimbra/scripts dir for mine and chown it to the zimbra user. run the script from there

Here is one more option, building on the same theme. To list just the distribution lists for one domain, and the members of each list:

for i in `zmprov gadl domain.com`; do echo ""; echo "$i:"; zmprov gdl $i | grep 'Forwarding' | awk '{print $2}'; done > aliases.txt

The output looks like:

list1@domain.com:
    user1@domain.com
    user2@domain.com

list2@domain.com:
    user3@domain.com
    user4@domain.com

As long as we're adding to this thread -- here are another couple of ways to get a list of accounts and their aliases.

They should be faster than the previously mentioned program, since they employ a single zmprov command instead of spawing a new program to check each mailbox. The overhead of the latter can be huge on large systems. I created these when I was looking for a command-line way to list the aliases of my distribution lists. That seems to be missing from the zmprov inventory.

For folks who like basic Unix scripts, here's the first one I wrote:

Code:
    DOMAIN=mydomain.com

zmprov  sa  -v zimbraMailDeliveryAddress="*@$DOMAIN" \
        | egrep '^(# name |cn:|zimbraMailAlias|$)' \
        | cat -s  \
        | sed 's/^zimbraMailAlias:/     /; s/^# name /Mailbox: /; s/^cn: /Name: /'
    The last two lines (and the trailing backslash at the end of the second line) aren't really necessary; they just pretty up the output a bit.

The third line (cat -s) will remove extra blank lines; you can get a lot of these if your users have mail filters. This command will work on many systems, but not all. If your system doesn't have "cat -s" you can get the same functionality with a one-line awk or perl script.

The fourth line (sed) cleans up the labels.

I actually prefer to do all of this in Perl; it's simpler, more flexible, and probably faster. Here's what I now run:

Code:
    #
    # aliasList:  Lists all aliases for mailboxes and distribution lists associated with a particular domain
    #
    #   Syntax:  aliasList someMailDomain.com
    #
    #
    # The settings for the LDAP queries are guesses.  They work for me, but if I have overlooked
    # something, please let me know!
    #  --
    # Phil Freed <url-zimbra@freed.com>
    #
    ########

DOMAIN="$1"
    OUTFILE="$DOMAIN.alias"

if [ -z "$DOMAIN" ]; then
      echo
      echo "ERROR!"
      echo "Syntax:  `basename $0`  yourMailDomain.com"
      echo
      exit 2
    fi

(
      echo Listing mailbox aliases....  >&2
      echo
      echo "==================== Mailbox Aliases for $DOMAIN ========================"
      echo

zmprov  sa  -v zimbraMailDeliveryAddress="*@$DOMAIN"  | perl -ne \
         '
           if ( s/^# name /\nMailbox: /  or
                s/^cn: /Name: /        or
                s/^zimbraMailAlias:/    / ) { print $_; }
         '

echo Listing distribution list aliases....  >&2
      echo
      echo
      echo "==================== Distribution List Aliases for $DOMAIN ========================"
      echo

zmprov  sa  -v "(&(objectClass=zimbraDistributionList)(mail=*@$DOMAIN))"  | perl -ne \
         '
           if ( s/^# distributionList /\nMailingList: /  or
                s/^cn: /Name: /        or
                s/^zimbraMailAlias:/    / ) { print $_; }
         '
    ) > $OUTFILE

echo
    echo " -- The list of aliases is now stored in '$OUTFILE'"
    echo

Rather than running a script, is there a command like the zmprov ga user@domain | grep Alias that will list ALL aliases? I need to provide a list but not sure how to create and run the script examples above.

Quote Originally Posted by sdrury View Post
    Rather than running a script, is there a command like the zmprov ga user@domain | grep Alias that will list ALL aliases? I need to provide a list but not sure how to create and run the script examples above.
    The first script in my previous post will work stand-alone; you can cut and paste it right into your terminal window. Just change the first line (DOMAIN=...) to the domain for which you want to view aliases. The script is really a one-liner, but it's been broken into multiple lines (each with a trailing backslash) to improve readability.

Code:
    DOMAIN=mydomain.com

zmprov  sa  -v zimbraMailDeliveryAddress="*@$DOMAIN" \
        | cat -s  \

If you want all aliases, regardless of domain, you can do it this way (note that DOMAIN is no longer used):

Code:
    zmprov  sa  -v objectClass="zimbraAccount" \
        | cat -s  \
    These two scripts will display all mailbox aliases. If you are one of those rare individuals that uses aliases for mailing lists, it won't show them. I can craft a "one-liner" that includes these as well, but I'll have to do it later. (I'm late for a meeting.) At the same time I'll talk a bit about how to set up and run a script. It's awfully handy to be able to do that.