Thread: zimbraPublicServiceHostname not served consistently

Default zimbraPublicServiceHostname not served consistently

We're running a multi-server environment; version 7.2 Release 2669.

The problem is even though we have zimbraPublicServiceHostname set as well as a virtual host, frequently users from the outside world are redirected to a backend mailbox server upon login. The mailbox server is not directly accessible from the Internet, and traffic is supposed to be handled through the proxy server. We currently have two proxy servers (mta), one mailbox server, ldap server, and two archive servers. The problem began recently after adding a new archive server. All servers are CentOS5 except the new one which is CentOS6. All servers run the same version of zimbra. Browers affected are IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, so it doesn't appear to necessarily be a browser problem.

I haven't found anything obvious in any of the log files on any server, but it appears that occasionally, the zimbraPublicServiceHostname is not being used when transmitting data back to clients. These are users trying to log in via the web interface.

Would anyone have any insight as to where and how to begin troubleshooting this?

Regards,

Mike

I recently had the same problem and finally found this KB:
    VMware KB: Web log in through reverse proxy redirects to mailstore

One of my mail-stores had a wrong zimbraMailReferMode .
    Last edited by moren; 06-07-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Font change
    Regards
    Morén
    8.0.5_P1 / NE / RHEL6_64

Moren,

Thanks for the info. Just this morning I came across a post that indicated this potential problem as well.

And, I found this was the case for the new server I recently brought online. I reenabled proxy services on proxy servers, disabled proxy services on mailstore servers, and checked zimbraMailReferMode on proxy and mailstore servers. I found on the new server zimbraMailReferMode was set to 'wronghost'. Corrected that and restarted zimbra on all servers.

The post I found was related to the following error, which I found on our proxy servers:
    'upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while reading response header from upstream'

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the system to see if this fixed the problem.

Thanks again,

Mike

Solved

Setting zimbraMailReferMode to reverse-proxied on the new mailbox server solved this issue, but it was only part of the solution. The proxied ports on the new mailbox server needed to be setup as well. The following command did the rest:
    /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmproxyconfig -w -e -a 8080:0:8443:0 -H `zmhostname`

There was one other side effect of adding the new server that's worth mentioning. Both of our proxy servers were changed so that they only served http (port 80). To fix this problem on both proxy/mta servers, I had to set zimbraMailMode and zimbraReverseProxyMailMode back to 'both'.

Regards,

Mike