Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admin Panel - Services All Red

Default Admin Panel - Services All Red

Guys,

I've installed ZCS 8.0.4 GA Release on UBUNTU 13.04. The installation went well untill I logged in to the admin panel. All services indicate off-line, but they apear running under the "zimbra" account with "zmcontrol status". However, I could send recieve emails and use the basic functions of a mail server so far (I didn't want to get in to complex configuration before I sort out existing issues). Having said, the major problems occurs when I have to restart zmcontrol every morning due to the service status "zmmailboxdctl is not running" which cripples my mail server.

I've surfed the net and your forum. There were all kinds of soultions focusing on different root-causes, but I could find any thing that fixed my problem.

Check http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...s-stopped.html.

I think zimbra supports upto Ubuntu 12.04.
    ~=Prashant=~

Thank you for your reply.

With regard to the link I don't understand "inserted the the line command in crontab" which seems to solve the problem. Further, UBUNTU 13.04 doesn't seem to be much different by architecture to 12.04 LTS. But if you can confirm for sure that it is the problem, I can re-deploy the server on UBUNTU 12.04 LTS. I assume, zimbra anounces there supported platform based on the LTS because UBUNTU's release cycle is a bit too rapid. Kindly advice if I'm wrong..

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dahamp View Post
    With regard to the link I don't understand "inserted the the line command in crontab" which seems to solve the problem.
    What don't you understand about that statement? There's a solution in the post above that line, how about confirming if that is the problem on your server?

Further, UBUNTU 13.04 doesn't seem to be much different by architecture to 12.04 LTS. But if you can confirm for sure that it is the problem, I can re-deploy the server on UBUNTU 12.04 LTS.
    You should only use the supported distributions from the ZCS downloads page otherwise you may run into problems and you will not get support for any other version of your operating system nor will you be able file any bug reports for it.

I assume, zimbra anounces there supported platform based on the LTS because UBUNTU's release cycle is a bit too rapid. Kindly advice if I'm wrong..
    Support for the LTS versions does not directly follow the release of a new version, ZCS needs to be built for that release and also tested on it before it will be supported.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Another thing you can check is rsyslog.conf file. I guess it would be present under /etc/.

#$ModLoad imudp
    #$UDPServerRun 514
    Commenting out above lines means preventing admin console host from listening and recording UDP traffic sent on port 514 from the remote host/local host rsyslog process and this could be the reason you are seeing red "X" instead of the status.
    So workaround is to uncomment these lines and restart rsyslog service.

$ModLoad imudp
    $UDPServerRun 514
    service rsyslog stop
    service rsyslog start
    Hope this will work. Keep us posted on your findings.
    ~=Prashant=~

Guys,

Thank you for your continued support. However, so far I've followed the below.

1. I followed your initial link zcs 7.1.2 admin console show all services stopped and did add "*/2 * * * * /opt/zimbra/libexec/zmstatuslog > /dev/null 2>&1" to the crontab file and no luck.

2. Then I followed editing the rsyslog.conf file by uncommenting "$ModLoad imudp" and "$UDPServerRun 514" and restarting the rsyslog service and still no luck.

3. I went one step further referencing this post upgrade to 6.0.2 stats and status no longer working (though the post is a bit old, thought it might apply to this situation). And I changed the following on the "/etc/logrotate.d/zimbra" file.

FROM: kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog*.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true
    TO: kill -HUP `cat /var/run/rsyslog*.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null || true

And restarted the rsyslog service and still no luck. Further I don't understand why a service fails saying "zmmailboxdctl is not Running" once a day. I doubt it's something to do with a cron-job, but the timings are random.

Regards,
    Daham

Guys,

Thanks a lot for your support so far. Nothing worked so I re-did the server with UBUNTU 12.04 LTS and now everything worked fine. But a few observations I would like to highlight

1. The installation always hung with a minimum RAM allocation of 1GB. The installation went through only after a RAM allocation of 2GB. (The deployment was on ESXi 5)
    2. My FQDN for the server was "mail.abc.eatfix.local". The server always looked up the hostname for the domain name and I had to manually add the domain name as "abc.eatfix.local" for the MX lookup.
    3. During the 12.04 LTS installation I noticed a few irregularities in my DNS configuration compared to the 13.04 installation. I had not configured PTR records for my domain, which I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the title of this post.
    Regards,
    Daham

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

1. The installation always hung with a minimum RAM allocation of 1GB. The installation went through only after a RAM allocation of 2GB. (The deployment was on ESXi 5)
    That's documented as the minimum RAM (and you really should use more) in the Product Documentation.

2. My FQDN for the server was "mail.abc.eatfix.local". The server always looked up the hostname for the domain name and I had to manually add the domain name as "abc.eatfix.local" for the MX lookup.
    That's actually a sub-domain and this requirement to change it during the initial install is also documented.

3. During the 12.04 LTS installation I noticed a few irregularities in my DNS configuration compared to the 13.04 installation. I had not configured PTR records for my domain, which I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the title of this post.
    Do you mean a reverse IP PTR record? That wouldn't necessarily make a difference if you're behind a NAT router and would only matter for a public IP and possible mail delivery problems.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's documented as the minimum RAM (and you really should use more) in the Product Documentation.
    But still it can't result with a failing bare-bone installation when documented as the minimum requirement

That's actually a sub-domain and this requirement to change it during the initial install is also documented.
    Yes, but it is pretty much logical that the domain name is "one period" less than the hostname and doesn't have to lookup the entire hostname for locating the MX record.

Do you mean a reverse IP PTR record? That wouldn't necessarily make a difference if you're behind a NAT router and would only matter for a public IP and possible mail delivery problems.
    I too doubted it, but I followed the DNS configuration described on zimbra documentation which mentioned about the PTR records.

Just though to keep you guys posted on my observations cos it might help someone else scavenging for solutions or to your development team for a better zimbra ..
    Regards,
    Daham