Thread: Multi-version upgrade

Default Multi-version upgrade

This has to be a FAQ, so I apologize in advance for my inability to find the answer myself...

We have an old version of Zimbra:
    Release 5.0.8_GA_2462.openSUSE_10.2_20080709173037 openSUSE_10.2 FOSS edition

I would like to bring it current. Do I need to step through each interim version to do this? Are there special things I need to know?

Thanks very much for any tips and pointers you might provide.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'll move this to the correct forum as it's not a Zimbra Desktop question (which is where you've posted).

Quote Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
    This has to be a FAQ, so I apologize in advance for my inability to find the answer myself...

We have an old version of Zimbra:
    Release 5.0.8_GA_2462.openSUSE_10.2_20080709173037 openSUSE_10.2 FOSS edition

I would like to bring it current. Do I need to step through each interim version to do this? Are there special things I need to know?

Thanks very much for any tips and pointers you might provide.
    This question has been answered many time in the forums. You need to check the Release Notes for the version of ZCS that you want to use. That will tell you which versions can be upgraded to which versions and no, you do not need to step through each version incrementally. You do, however, have a problem because openSUSE is not a supported (or suitable, IMO) platform for Zimbra and 32bit distributions are also no longer supported. You will need to move to new 64bit hardware if you want the most recent version of ZCS and obviously have a backup strategy in place during this move.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

My apologies for the misplaced post, and thank you for your patient answer. I did a quick read of the documentation, and an upgrade from v5 to v8 is not explicitly listed as an option. ("To upgrade from 6.0.x or 7.0.x to 8.0.x, download the latest ZCS 8.0.x software and run the upgrade.")

It looks to me like I'm in for a four-step process:

* v5 --> v7 on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 32-bit

* v7 on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 32-bit --> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit

* v7 to v8 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit

* v8 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit --> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit

Does that sound right? Is there a shorter supported path?

And a quick aside: It had not occurred to me to download the product or documentation to find the answers to "what version do I need to download?" If this is frequently asked, perhaps it would make a good FAQ. Something like:

2.13) Can I skip ahead several versions during a ZCS upgrade? Can I change the operating system?

The short answer is "maybe." The release notes for each version of ZCS tell you what earlier versions you may upgrade from. (Search for the phrase "To upgrade from".) If you need to change machines or operating systems, see Moving ZCS to New Server. And the list of supported operating systems for recent versions of ZCS may be found here for the Network Edition and here for the Open Source Edition.

Oh -- and if you don't mind my asking -- why do you say the openSUSE is not suitable for ZCS?

Thanks.

My apologies for the misplaced post, and thank you for your patient answer. I did a quick read of the documentation, and an upgrade from v5 to v8 is not explicitly listed as an option. ("To upgrade from 6.0.x or 7.0.x to 8.0.x, download the latest ZCS 8.0.x software and run the upgrade.")

It looks to me like I'm in for a four-step process:

* v5 --> v7 on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 32-bit

* v7 on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 32-bit --> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit

* v7 to v8 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit

* v8 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit --> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit

Does that sound right?
    That sounds about right although I don't like Ubuntu because of it's package management system, my choice would be CentOS6.x.

......Is there a shorter supported path?
    There are two possible options that might be less work, the first would be to use the ZCS 8 migration tools in the Admin UI (you can read about it in the Admin Guide) and the second would be to use the ZeXtras migration (free for 30 days) and that works well. Both of those options would only involve an 'old' server and the new server but you would need to check if any intermediate steps are needed for either of thos paths.

And a quick aside: It had not occurred to me to download the product or documentation to find the answers to "what version do I need to download?" If this is frequently asked, perhaps it would make a good FAQ. Something like:
    A couple of points. It doesn't matter how many FAQs, wiki articles or threads are created on any particular topic the simple problem is that most people that use forums (it's not peculiar to these forums) do not bother to look at a FAQ or search for the answer to their problem. I've given the same answer in many posts in these forums, did you not find it during a search? As far as a FAQ on the subject, I don't have the time or inclination at the moment to create that information but the wiki is user editable and you could add it if you feel like doing that.

Oh -- and if you don't mind my asking -- why do you say the openSUSE is not suitable for ZCS?
    I don't consider a consumer grade distribution a suitable platform for a mail server which is required to be on-line 24/7, that is said from the perspective of a long-time user and fan of openSUSE.
    Regards

Bill

my choice would be CentOS6.x.
    Mine too. I was about to ask if CENTOS was OK since RHEL is listed.

There are two possible options that might be less work
    Thanks! I'll look into them.

It doesn't matter how many FAQs, wiki articles or threads are created on any particular topic the simple problem is that most people that use forums
    True. And not unreasonable, since there is bound to be a lot more info in the forums than can ever be put into a FAQ. On the other hand, the fact that Frequently Asked Question lists are useful should be eponymously obvious.

No; I didn't find the answer, and I did search. But I've been pulling a series of all-nighters, so my efficacy is way down and my stoopid coefficient is through the roof. (As evidenced by the misplaced original post.) The good news is that the inclusion of my suggested FAQ entry in this thread may increase the odds that others will be able to find this answer themselves.

the wiki is user editable and you could add it if you feel like doing that.
    Fair enough; I will. Thanks again for your help.

Mine too. I was about to ask if CENTOS was OK since RHEL is listed.
    CentOS is now on the list of supported distributions and I've been using it since the first release of Zimbra and without any problems.
    Regards

Bill