Thread: Add more info in the user Contact Info

Hybrid View

Question Add more info in the user Contact Info

Hi,

in the web based zimbra administrator tool one can set per each user only a small number of Contact Info (name, 1 address, 1 tel number). I would like to set pro user more info i.e. to have a contact which contains: name, address, office tel number, private tel number, mobile number, fax number etc.
    Is there a way to do it? How?
    Thanks

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

It's not recommended to make any changes to the Zimbra LDAP schema, they will likely get overwritten on an upgrade. If that's not it then doesn't the contacts page provide what you need?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Actually the effect that I want is that more user info appear in the GAL. You are saying that there is no "safe" way to do it?

I do not understand: if I create a contact I can store a lot of information:

e-mail 1, e-mail2, e-mail3 ...
    Work: address, tel, fax
    Home: address, tel, fax, mobile

This means zimbra has somewhere the possibility to store in LDAP those "advanced" Contact Info.

Why I can not store such infos for local users at the adminstrator level such that all the user can see the complete info of the other collegues directly from the GAL?

Default Confused too. . .

I don't understand the GAL either. Why is a different set of information available on the "Contact Information" tab in the admin interface than there is for an entry in an address book?

For that matter, I have entered phone numbers for each user in the GAL, but that information doesn't seem available to a user through the Web interface. All I ever see is the email address for the person. What is the point of entering any information on the "Contact information" tab?

The GAL is a letdown for use as a "company directory".

Question GAL Contact information import to personal contacts

Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    I don't understand the GAL either. Why is a different set of information available on the "Contact Information" tab in the admin interface than there is for an entry in an address book?

For that matter, I have entered phone numbers for each user in the GAL, but that information doesn't seem available to a user through the Web interface. All I ever see is the email address for the person. What is the point of entering any information on the "Contact information" tab?

I have the same basic question. Users who have GAL Access, and who can Search GAL, cannot see the contact information entered by the Admin when hovering over an email address. Furthermore, a search of the GAL only shows some of the contact information.

If a contact is not in a personal list but is in the GAL, can that contact info be displayed on hover? Also, if a contact is added, can the information from the GAL be imported automatically?
    -Dan

Default Ldap

Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    Got to agree with that, the only thing it seems useful for is the email addresses, would be a lot better if the users address book and the GAL were both stored in LDAP and actually stored useful information (multiple phone numbers / email addresses / snail mail addresses / IM / web links etc.)

After all LDAP can easily store all this information....

Time to search for a bug on this or raise one....

This is quite an old post. Just wondering how things have changed?
    Because now we are using 6.0.5 and the Contact information page is still very limited. And all these issues have not seemed to be addressed.

Same here. We use the information in Zimbra LDAP in various places and it would be nice if more information could be seen and entered in the web client. An option to let users enter their home and mobile phone numbers for example would be very useful.