Thread: Probably shouldn't use Zimbra for this...External emails in & out

Default Probably shouldn't use Zimbra for this...External emails in & out

What I am trying to do is use my zimbra server more like outlook or Zimbra desktop. I have a work email (me@work.com) that all inbound/outbound traffic has to come from & be received by for compliance. It would be best-case if Zimbra can aggregate my emails (searched that too and be a mail storage for everything, then at home/cell/work I see the same thing while still allowing me to use the personal email domain I have set up.

What I am working with:
    -Ubuntu 8.04
    -Zimbra .2.4 FOSS edition
    -old poweredge server running virtualbox (zimbra is in a vm)

What I have done so far:
    -I have read the wiki & anything else I can find external MTA with Zimbra.
    -set up relay password
    -ran all of the postfix security commands
    -added the external relay pop3.work.com to MTA tab
    -Not knowing how to properly use this powerful tool I even tried an alias domain/account...that didn't work out so well either as then every time I tried to email someone at work Zimbra assumed they were also supposed to be @zimbraserver.com

I just can't seem to get it to work the way I want. Zimbra allows me to send emails & retrieve the pop account I want, but sent mail always comes from me@zimbraserver.com on behalf of instead of me@work.com.

The only reason I am not using a newer version...32bit this is the last supported version for Ubuntu.
    I am guessing this is something Zimbra can easily do...just haven't figured it out yet
    Please be gentle...its my 1st Zimbra
    Thanks for anything.

I'm running the same setup, I think, except for the x64 OS. Anyway, this may or may not be on point, don't you have to manually select what account you want to use when sending? Otherwise it defaults to your main zimbra domain?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BPB View Post
    I'm running the same setup, I think, except for the x64 OS. Anyway, this may or may not be on point, don't you have to manually select what account you want to use when sending? Otherwise it defaults to your main zimbra domain?

sorry for the delay -- fishing trip I have tried that too, but the email select - me@work.com just says me@work.com on behalf of me@zimbraserver.com. This leads me to believe zimbra's smtp is doing all the work. I need it to skip zimbra mta all together for me@work.com & just act like zimbra desktop.
    Thanks for the suggestion...I will keep digging

I'm not sure how to get it to send not on zmail's MTA. I do have a user who is trying to sync an external email account. If/when I get email sending from that account within Zimbra I'll post back how I did it.