Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undoing a zmmboxmove?

Default Undoing a zmmboxmove?

So, we're about 5 hours away from a major store to store zmmboxmove job.

It occurred to us today, that we have no idea how we might back out if an account doesnt work on the destination. zmmboxmove doesnt "purge" the account on the source, unless you run zmpurgeoldmbox. So this makes me thing its at least possible to back out, and go back to the old mailbox data if necessary. The question is.. How?

I've tried switching zimbramailhost for the account back to the source, and that doesnt seem to work, how else might i accomplish this?

THanks!

So, anyone who's curious, i believe i found two answers to my question.

If you're trying to get back to the source, that hasnt been purged, without syncing any new mail back (like, if the account is hopelessly broken on the destination, and you just want to revert). use zmprov to change the zimbraMailHost back to the source.

So, if you moved from store1 to store2, you'd do something like: zmprov ma user@domian.com zimbraMailHost ztore1

If you're trying to move changes back as well, just use zmmboxmove to move the account back to where it came from. It's smart enough to only sync the differences.

zmmboxmove -a user@domain.com -f store2 -t store1

I personally not tried this scenario but what was the output when you moved the mailbox from target to source store again. Does everything work correctly?
    ~=Prashant=~

Quote Originally Posted by NathanL View Post
    So, anyone who's curious, i believe i found two answers to my question.
    That's great intel. May I ask where did you learn that? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by speno View Post
    That's great intel. May I ask where did you learn that? Thanks.
    I tried it. Under a time crunch, i needed to know the answer, so i tried it in our dev environment.

Quote Originally Posted by prashant View Post
    I personally not tried this scenario but what was the output when you moved the mailbox from target to source store again. Does everything work correctly?
    It worked exactly as the move from source to target went. it simply took a fraction of the time, because all of the data was already on the source.

Thanks. I guess I still don't trust zmmboxmove to do the right things when HSM is involved. Maybe in 7.2.5?

Thanks. I guess I still don't trust zmmboxmove to do the right things when HSM is involved. Maybe in 7.2.5?
    It doesnt. We wanted to move away from HSM with our migration, but couldnt because of the HSM bug. So we ended up creating HSM volumes on the new stores for compatibility.

After that was done, it appears to have worked flawlessly.

Like I mentioned in another thread, we were able to successfully migrate accounts of a mailbox with HSM to mailboxes without HSM using the older zmmailboxmove command. That was the advice we received from Zimbra support and we've done thousands of migrations in the past few weeks using it.

Like I mentioned in another thread, we were able to successfully migrate accounts of a mailbox with HSM to mailboxes without HSM using the older zmmailboxmove command. That was the advice we received from Zimbra support and we've done thousands of migrations in the past few weeks using it.
    The advice is much appareciated, however, we'd written a migration script, and it was too late for comfort to modify it to use zmmailboxmove. We decided that we'd just stick with HSM, and maybe even truly tier HSM storage in the future.