Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Undoing a zmmboxmove?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Undoing a zmmboxmove?

    So, we're about 5 hours away from a major store to store zmmboxmove job.

    It occurred to us today, that we have no idea how we might back out if an account doesnt work on the destination. zmmboxmove doesnt "purge" the account on the source, unless you run zmpurgeoldmbox. So this makes me thing its at least possible to back out, and go back to the old mailbox data if necessary. The question is.. How?

    I've tried switching zimbramailhost for the account back to the source, and that doesnt seem to work, how else might i accomplish this?

    THanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    So, anyone who's curious, i believe i found two answers to my question.

    If you're trying to get back to the source, that hasnt been purged, without syncing any new mail back (like, if the account is hopelessly broken on the destination, and you just want to revert). use zmprov to change the zimbraMailHost back to the source.

    So, if you moved from store1 to store2, you'd do something like: zmprov ma user@domian.com zimbraMailHost ztore1

    If you're trying to move changes back as well, just use zmmboxmove to move the account back to where it came from. It's smart enough to only sync the differences.

    zmmboxmove -a user@domain.com -f store2 -t store1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I personally not tried this scenario but what was the output when you moved the mailbox from target to source store again. Does everything work correctly?
    ~=Prashant=~

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NathanL View Post
    So, anyone who's curious, i believe i found two answers to my question.
    That's great intel. May I ask where did you learn that? Thanks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speno View Post
    That's great intel. May I ask where did you learn that? Thanks.
    I tried it. Under a time crunch, i needed to know the answer, so i tried it in our dev environment.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prashant View Post
    I personally not tried this scenario but what was the output when you moved the mailbox from target to source store again. Does everything work correctly?
    It worked exactly as the move from source to target went. it simply took a fraction of the time, because all of the data was already on the source.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Thanks. I guess I still don't trust zmmboxmove to do the right things when HSM is involved. Maybe in 7.2.5?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speno View Post
    Thanks. I guess I still don't trust zmmboxmove to do the right things when HSM is involved. Maybe in 7.2.5?
    It doesnt. We wanted to move away from HSM with our migration, but couldnt because of the HSM bug. So we ended up creating HSM volumes on the new stores for compatibility.

    After that was done, it appears to have worked flawlessly.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Like I mentioned in another thread, we were able to successfully migrate accounts of a mailbox with HSM to mailboxes without HSM using the older zmmailboxmove command. That was the advice we received from Zimbra support and we've done thousands of migrations in the past few weeks using it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speno View Post
    Like I mentioned in another thread, we were able to successfully migrate accounts of a mailbox with HSM to mailboxes without HSM using the older zmmailboxmove command. That was the advice we received from Zimbra support and we've done thousands of migrations in the past few weeks using it.
    The advice is much appareciated, however, we'd written a migration script, and it was too late for comfort to modify it to use zmmailboxmove. We decided that we'd just stick with HSM, and maybe even truly tier HSM storage in the future.

Similar Threads

  1. zmmboxmove: Explain the -sync option please?
    By Chewie71 in forum Administrators
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 06:41 AM
  2. howto purge using zmmboxmove
    By maumar in forum Administrators
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •