Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: MoveBlobRequests - Anyone used that?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Question MoveBlobRequests - Anyone used that?

    I'm interested in consolidating some message stores on an old mailbox running 7.2.2. Looks like the SOAP MoveBlobRequests does that, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has used it and what gotchas were encountered. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    343
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Not sure what exactly you trying to achieve. Do you want to move some accounts?
    ~=Prashant=~

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prashant View Post
    Not sure what exactly you trying to achieve. Do you want to move some accounts?
    I want to consolidate two messages stores into one store thus freeing a storage volume. This particular mailbox has a dozen primary message stores and has had thousands of accounts moved to other mailboxes. So, some of those message stores are a lot less full than they used to be. We can re-use those freed volumes elsewhere once they are emptied of blobs etc.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    It's me again. I tried it today having requested it move blobs from an empty store to a non empty store. I didn't want to actually move anything for this test.

    I observed Zimbra iterating over each account on the mailbox to find any blobs on the source store. Given that the store was empty, all I got was a bunch of 'hsm - Found no blobs that need to be moved.' entries in the mailbox.log along with some slow query warnings related to the search for blobs to move.

    Next time, I may move blobs for reals. :-)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I moved some blobs for real yesterday. I used this command to move 10GB of blobs at a go. I did this twice. I think it worked fine. I will do it again and again until my store is empty. I may just let it move all the blobs next instead of limiting it to 10GB.

    % zmsoap -z MoveBlobsRequest @types=all @sourceVolumeIds=1 @destVolumeId=16 @maxBytes=10737418240
    <MoveBlobsResponse numBlobsMoved="219449" totalMailboxes="6956" numBytesMoved="10737225626" xmlns="urn:zimbraAdmin"/>

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I did a MoveBlobsRequest with no size limit and it ran fine. However, some blobs did get left behind on the source Volume. I'm working with Zimbra support to determine what's going on there.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I still haven't been able to move those stuck blobs even when zimbraHsmPolicy was adjusted (cleared actually).

    However, migrating an account that has stuck blobs, then purging it from the source mailbox does remove those blobs as expected.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    So, nothing seems to work to move these stuck blobs. We've been advised to move them manually. I'll probably just migrate the accounts to other mailboxes rather than do that.

    And maybe we'll have better luck when we try it on another source volume.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •