Thread: Additional MTAs for inbound and outbound emails - ZCS 8 open source edition

Hybrid View

Default Additional MTAs for inbound and outbound emails - ZCS 8 open source edition

Hi All,

I have installed zimbra 8.0.4 open source edition using the Multi Server installation guide with
    -2 Zimbra ldap servers (multi Master Replication)
    -1 Zimbta MTA server (mta1.example.com)
    -2 Zimbra Proxies
    -2 Zimbra Mailstore servers
    I have done all the installations on Centos 6.4 x86_64 OS.
    Now, I would like to install three additionals MTA servers for redundancy purposes. I will do the installation using the same guide.
    Finally I'll have the MTAs:
    mta1.example.com
    mta2.example.com
    mta3.example.com
    mta4.example.com

My question is ... how can I use the mta1.example.com and mta2.example.com for the incoming emails and the mta3.example.com
    and mta4.example.com for the outgoing?

I would like to know if there is any procedure or any tips that I have to read before the installations.

BTW ... as instructions for additionals Relay hosts and MTAs, i have seen the following articles:
    1. SMTP failback relay functionality: as described in Smtp fallback relay - Zimbra :: Wiki article
    2. ZimbraSmtpHostname: ZimbraSmtpHostname - Zimbra :: Wiki
    But, both of the are instructions for Zimbra 7.
    Also, I'm not sure if I have to follow the 2 ZimbraSMTPHostname after the new MTAs installations have been completed or the installation
    script will apply the configuration automatically.

Thanks in advance,
    Panos

Well, for inbound only add mta1 and mta2 as MX records to the domain. Then for outbound go into the Admin interface -> Global Settings -> MTA and set mta3 as primary and mta4 as fallback.

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

You are right, but if don't have an mx record for the mta3 and mta4 then I will have email delivery issues when zimbra uses theses MTAs.

Do you have any other ideas?

Regards,
    Panos

Why would you have email delivery issues ? mta3 and mta4 are only being used for outbound delivery, so email destined for your local domains will not be handled by them. Any internal email will be handled directly on the mail stores.

Hi,

Yes, you are right for the inbound mail delivery. The issues that I will have is for the outbound emails...
    So, I believe that If I don't have MX records for the outbound mail delivery MTAs (mta3 and mta4), then the recipient's mail server will drop the mail delivery from these MTAs.

Am I correct or I missed something?

Regards,
    Panos

No, the recipient MTAs should not drop your email; though they may score it negatively as they are not listed as MX records. To alleviate that issue you would be best setting up SPF records on your domain(s) listing all your MTAs that are responsible for both receiving and sending email. The alternative would be to put the MTAs behind a HA/LB like HAProxy - The Reliable, High Performance TCP/HTTP Load Balancer which is how I have my own system configured.