Thread: Change default theme for all users via command line?

Hybrid View

Default Change default theme for all users via command line?

Hi! I searched the forums and the wiki, and did not find a correct answer.

So, I want all users to use the Carbon theme. But most of them changed their default theme. Then, how is the correct command (or sequence of commands) via terminal to reset all users theme to the one I want them to use by default?

Also, it's possible to hide some side bar options in administration Console (The Default COS for example) so only the main administrator can see?

Thank you!

Regardless of why, they're the admin, let them badger their users all they'd like.

We did this when we went to zimbra 8. We implemented a custom theme to go along with the 8 upgrade. So we moved everyone who was using the old default, over to our custom theme. leaving those who had changed away from the default alone.

There are two zmprov preferences related to theme. zimbraPrefSkin and zimbraAvailableSkin. If i change both of these to a new theme, it appears to take affect the next time the user refreshes webmail (or loggs out and back in).

I'd do it like this:
    $ zmprov ma username@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon

I'm not sure if changing zimbraPrefSkin is necesary, it appears to take affect when i change zimbraAvailableSkin.

You'll have to do that in some sort of loop, for every user you'd like to change.

You could get fancy and do something like:

$ for i in `zmprov gaa`; do zmprov ma ${i}@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon;done;

that would pipe the output of zmprov gaa (getallaccounts) into a for loop, setting them all back to carbon.

This feature is very much user specific. If user want to use a particular theme then user is free to do so. Why forcing user to use particular skin/theme?
    ~=Prashant=~

Quote Originally Posted by NathanL View Post
    Regardless of why, they're the admin, let them badger their users all they'd like.

We did this when we went to zimbra 8. We implemented a custom theme to go along with the 8 upgrade. So we moved everyone who was using the old default, over to our custom theme. leaving those who had changed away from the default alone.

There are two zmprov preferences related to theme. zimbraPrefSkin and zimbraAvailableSkin. If i change both of these to a new theme, it appears to take affect the next time the user refreshes webmail (or loggs out and back in).

I'd do it like this:
    $ zmprov ma username@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon

I'm not sure if changing zimbraPrefSkin is necesary, it appears to take affect when i change zimbraAvailableSkin.

You'll have to do that in some sort of loop, for every user you'd like to change.

You could get fancy and do something like:

$ for i in `zmprov gaa`; do zmprov ma ${i}@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon;done;

that would pipe the output of zmprov gaa (getallaccounts) into a for loop, setting them all back to carbon.
    Each time you run zmprov it launches a separate jetty instance, which is expensive, so better to do the following:

First, if you have 500 users whose theme you want to change, create as the zimbra user a 500-line file where the lines read:

Code:
    ma user1@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon
    ma user2@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon
    ma user3@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon
    ma user500@domain.com zimbraAvailableSkin carbon zimbraPrefSkin carbon
    Call this file, say, /tmp/update_theme.zmp

Then have a single zmprov instance do all the work for you:

Code:
    zmprov -f /tmp/update_theme.zmp
    You are done.

Hope that helps,
    Mark