Thread: Domain Administrators in Open Source Edition

Hybrid View

Question Domain Administrators in Open Source Edition

Hi there,

I've seen a few posts on this in my research, but some are old and others are somewhat confusing (mostly in the way the question has been phrased, and therefore how the answer can be interpreted).

Do I understand correctly that the current (version 8.0.4) Open Source Edition of Zimbra does not support either of the following for the purposes of adding, editing and removing email accounts, aliases, etc. within a domain:
    • One administrator per domain, or
    • Multiple domains assigned to multiple administrators (e.g., 1 domain to admin A, 2 to admin B, 3 to admin C, etc.)

In other words, is there only one administrator for the whole server, whether that server hosts one domain or a thousand?

If my understanding is correct, are there any plans to add this feature to the Open Source Edition, or (as I'm tempted to assume) is the lack of this feature intentional to entice upgrading to the Network Edition?

Thanks.

Craig

Ironically, in the related posts under mine is a reasonably recent post that is actually fairly clear on this that I didn't see in my searches. I did view the comparison at Zimbra - Compare Products , but I guess the terminology used was not quite that clear to me.

So I believe I've answered my own question: no to both scenarios in the Open Source Edition ... unless someone wants to contradict me or answer my follow-up question about future plans.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1308 View Post

So I believe I've answered my own question: no to both scenarios in the Open Source Edition ... unless someone wants to contradict me or answer my follow-up question about future plans.

Thanks.
    I dont want to contradict you :-)
    But... if your search is wide open, and you are interested to evaluate a commercial Extension for Zimbra Open, you can take a look in the Zimbra Gallery to ZeXtras Admin (Module of ZeXtras Suite)

Bests
    Paolo Storti
    CEO @ StudioStorti
    The Largest Zimbra Integrator in ITALY

Hi Paolo,

Thanks very much for pointing me to ZeXtras. I'll consider the possibility in the future, particularly for clients who might want their own Zimbra server. In the meantime I'm going to stick with the configuration I'm currently using.

Craig