Thread: Zimbra web server access log location - did it move?

Default Zimbra web server access log location - did it move?

Hi, I was trying to find the http access logs for the Zimbra web client. I'm running version 6, Network Edition. I eventually found them at /opt/zimbra/log/access_log.$DATE,
    however the wiki at https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Log_Files says they are under /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/ , a location that doesn't exist for us.

Is this
    A) An opportunity for updating the wiki.
    B) A version change ( I am slowly grepping the changelogs, a process not made easier by them being in PDF )
    C) A difference between Network Edition and the open source edition
    D) Something else?

Regards, Andrew

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aspiers View Post
    Hi, I was trying to find the http access logs for the Zimbra web client. I'm running version 6, Network Edition. I eventually found them at /opt/zimbra/log/access_log.$DATE,
    however the wiki at https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Log_Files says they are under /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/ , a location that doesn't exist for us.
    You realise that those instructions are for ZCS versions 5, 6 and 7 don't you?

Is this
    A) An opportunity for updating the wiki.
    If you like. it is open for user contributions.

B) A version change ( I am slowly grepping the changelogs, a process not made easier by them being in PDF )
    Yes but you don't tell us which version you're talking about. Did you look in this directory?

C) A difference between Network Edition and the open source edition
    No.

D) Something else?
    No.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi phoenix, thanks for your reply.

I did read that the instructions are for the ZCS{5..7} but as it didn't correspond to my installation, I wondered if perhaps might have changed.

I do realise that the wiki is open for user contributions, but I didn't fancy updating it with incorrect information.
    Hence the question first. Surely there must have been a tomcat directory at some point,
    otherwise it wouldn't have been written that there was?

I did tell you which version I was talking about.
    I said "I'm running version 6, Network Edition". The full version string is in my profile.

I've applied for an account to edit the wiki now, but I'm still unclear as to
    why it would say that log file is in a tomcat directory.

Also, why do I need to provide a fifty word biography to help you fix your information?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I did read that the instructions are for the ZCS{5..7} but as it didn't correspond to my installation, I wondered if perhaps might have changed.
    I did actually say ZCS 5, 6 & 7 - that would apply to the OSS & NE versions and the log file locations are the same in both versions.

I do realise that the wiki is open for user contributions, but I didn't fancy updating it with incorrect information.
    Hence the question first. Surely there must have been a tomcat directory at some point,
    otherwise it wouldn't have been written that there was?
    There was.

I did tell you which version I was talking about.
    I said "I'm running version 6, Network Edition". The full version string is in my profile.
    So you did, my mistake. Your profile isn't visible in the forums, that feature went walkabout during one of the forum software upgrades last year. You might be surprised how many people don't bother updating their forum profile from the day they install ZCS, hence the reason I always ask.

I've applied for an account to edit the wiki now, but I'm still unclear as to
    why it would say that log file is in a tomcat directory.
    As it's a while since I've used ZCS 6 so I can't actually remember when the location changed.

Also, why do I need to provide a fifty word biography to help you fix your information?
    I've no idea what 'biography' you're talking about and just for the record, this isn't 'my information' - I'm just a moderator on these forums and the wiki belongs to Zimbra not me. The information in the wiki is for user contribution (whether that is Zimbra staff or Zimbra users) and the only official Zimbra documentation in the wiki tells you it's "Zimbra Certified" and is only open for editing by Zimbra staff.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.