Thread: Questions regarding E-mail message lifetime

Default Questions regarding E-mail message lifetime

Hi all,

I have two questions regarding the "E-mail message lifetime" setting. My college is looking to implement this to set a retention time of 3 years on mail (in the default class of service). My questions about this are:

1. When I enable it, will it instantly start scouring mailboxes to delete old messages?
    2. Does it cause an initial resource strain on the system (since it would be cleaning up 1500 or so mailboxes)?

I've only found 5.x/6.x era notes on the "E-mail message lifetime" option in the forums (and those somewhat sparse and not specifically about this).

Thanks in advance for any info!
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz

Perhaps the most useful wiki doc (it could use a few updates) is Mailbox Purge - Zimbra :: Wiki (note enhancement bug 20720 was implemented in ZCS 8). Some details of the original implementation can be seen in Bug 13435 ? User-definable expiration policy for systems folders

The thread starts when mailboxd starts and is constantly working, but it is throttled by zimbraMailPurgeSleepInterval in order to help reduce its impact on the system. Certainly you'll see it working, but typically it with the throttle in place it isn't expected to cause any sort of overload on the platform.

Thanks much ppearl! I missed that article but your info and that article help a lot. We'll finally be on Zimbra 8.x before implementing that.

Now if only I can find something to defend myself from my faculty & staff when they come for me with pitchforks and torches when we tell them their ancient mail on the server will start getting deleted...
    ---
    Paul Chauvet
    State University of New York at New Paltz