Thread: LDAP referrals with Zimbra

Default LDAP referrals with Zimbra

Hi all.

I know a lot of people have posted about wanting to extend the Zimbra LDAP server for other authentication purposes.

I'm noodling this process out myself and wanted to run a few ideas the Zimbra folks and other forum readers.

What about the option of an external directory server that does referrals to the zimbra LDAP server for non-local lookups? Would something like this work?

I'm envisioning someway to overlay the Zimbra schema on top of another LDAP server where would have a separate ou for our customers and business partners.

Thoughts?

Hi RBX,
    Good question. I've forwarded your question on to one of our developers, and hopefully, you'll get an answer soon.

If you don't, or have any questions, please pvt me.

Thanks
    john

Quote Originally Posted by rbxglobal View Post
    What about the option of an external directory server that does referrals to the zimbra LDAP server for non-local lookups? Would something like this work?

I'm envisioning someway to overlay the Zimbra schema on top of another LDAP server where would have a separate ou for our customers and business partners.
    Assuming to Zimbra it looks just like our LDAP it may work. It's not something we test or recommend you do since we've tightly integrated OpenLDAP so it works well with start/stop, upgrades, config file generation, etc. So while you may get it to work it could lead to problems down the road if you break some of the assumptions we have with the way we've integrated OpenLDAP.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.