Thread: Multi-server and Logwatch

Default Multi-server and Logwatch

Hello all.

We have a two RHEL servers setup, one MTA/LDAP and one MailStore/Logger but we can do not receive any of the nightly mails to admin.

Sendmail is obviously disabled on the MTA.
    It was not disabled on the other server, we had no mail.
    Tried to disable it (just in case it was causing problems), still no mail (but message in the /var/log/maillog changed in a way that let me think I should re-enable it).

What should be the "correct" setup to get our nightly mails ?

I know we had to change the crontab entries for some of the jobs because it was pointing to /bin/mail which hadn't been configured properrly to send mail to Zimbra.

I have a similar problem that I currently plowing through. One of the first things you need to check though is if your using mail/sendmail in the logwatch reports as logwatch will not be setup to use the postfix configuration that Zimbra installs.

Or you can make a backup of /usr/sbin/sendmail and link a new /usr/sbin/sendmail to /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/sendmail

We've "fixed" the problem on the MailStore server (currently with crontab change but we might change this to symlink).

But we're having now the brother-problem as we're getting only the "short" mail (number of message and most active users) : the subject of the mail is "Daily mail report from ... to ..."

We're not getting any LogWatch mail.
    Any idea arround this ?

How do you have logwatch configured? and what OS are you using? I know on Fedora 5 logwatch was already installed and its default settings make it use sendmail

" mailer = "sendmail -t" "

On Ubuntu 6.06 Server, I had to install logwatch, and its default is set to:

Detail = Med
    mailer = /usr/bin/mail
    TmpDir = /tmp

If your daily mail reports work correctly then you should be able to have logwatch use the sendmail that Zimbra installs.

The problem might be on the webstore, in the sendmail alias table : it does not know that mails to root@localhost should go to admin@domain.tld.

More info on this very soon.

Addition to klug descrption.
    The 2 zimbra servers are in addition of an existing postfix server.
    We use the split domain tip to make ti works.

Postfix handles all incoming external e-mail. E-mails for zimbra
    users are redirected to zimbra server.

What we discovered :
    Send mail aliases are not the main cause of the problem.
    In fact, when sendmail is used to send logwatch on the store/logger zimbra server, the mail is not delivered locally, but sendmail use dns MX record, so the logwatch mail is sent to our old postfix server, that have no account for admin@myzimbraserver.

How do i setup sendmail on the store/logger server to deliver e-mails locally and no to follow the Mx records ???