Thread: Some services are not running + mails are not delivered

Default Some services are not running + mails are not delivered

Hello,
    I have finished installation of Zimbra 8.0.6 on my Ubuntu 13.10 server.
    I have two problems now. One of them is that in Web administration I got error "Some services are not running". When I open it, it shows that all services are stopped.
    However when I run zmcontrol everything seems ok:

Code:
    Host intossh.net
    zimbra@intossh:~$ zmcontrol status
            antispam                Running
            antivirus               Running
            ldap                    Running
            logger                  Running
            mailbox                 Running
            mta                     Running
            opendkim                Running
            snmp                    Running
            spell                   Running
            stats                   Running
            zmconfigd               Running
    A was reading and following all threads I could find here, but to no avail.
    I am using rsyslogd at my server.
    So far I have tried trick with:
    Code:
    zimbra@intossh:~/zimbramon/crontabs$ cat * > crontab.zimbra
    zimbra@intossh:~/zimbramon/crontabs$ crontab crontab.zimbra
    As well as:

Code:
    ln -s /etc/rsyslog.conf /etc/syslog.conf
    And also restarting everything several times.

I am still getting this error, and also when I want to open some status I got this:
    Message: system failure: Unable to read logger stats Error code: service.FAILURE Method: [unknown] Details:soap:Receiver

Another problem is that my emails are not delivered, not even when I am sending the mail from my gmail account to my server.
    The mails are shown in Mail Queues although, but they are not delivered to any mailbox.

This is what log says:

Code:
    -Jan 12 17:44:22 intossh postfix/submission/smtpd[27585]: connect from router-muki-nat-k.pilsfree.net[212.79.110.42]
    Jan 12 17:44:22 intossh postfix/submission/smtpd[27585]: Anonymous TLS connection established from router-muki-nat-k.pilsfree.net[212.79.110.42]: TLSv1 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)
    Jan 12 17:44:23 intossh postfix/submission/smtpd[27585]: NOQUEUE: filter: RCPT from router-muki-nat-k.pilsfree.net[212.79.110.42]: <jerry@intossh.net>: Sender address triggers FILTER smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10026; from=<jerry@intossh.net> to=<jerryn@gmail.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.1.1]>
    Jan 12 17:44:23 intossh postfix/submission/smtpd[27585]: 1AD995018BA: client=router-muki-nat-k.pilsfree.net[212.79.110.42], sasl_method=PLAIN, sasl_username=jerry@intossh.net
    Jan 12 17:44:23 intossh postfix/cleanup[27594]: 1AD995018BA: message-id=<52D2C667.50103@intossh.net>
    Jan 12 17:44:23 intossh postfix/qmgr[20861]: 1AD995018BA: from=<jerry@intossh.net>, size=589, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Jan 12 17:44:23 intossh postfix/submission/smtpd[27585]: disconnect from router-muki-nat-k.pilsfree.net[212.79.110.42]
    Jan 12 17:44:23 intossh postfix/smtp[27595]: 1AD995018BA: to=<jerryn@gmail.com>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10026, delay=0.11, delays=0.11/0.01/0/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] while receiving the initial server greeting)
    When receiving an email to my server its the same thing.
    I also found on this forum that I have to add my network to MTA Trusted Networks, which I did.
    This is what I put in there: 127.0.0.0/8 10.76.128.0/19

Could you please tell me what to do to resolve these problems? I would like to use Zimbra at our company next week.

Thank you.

Ok, nobody seems to have an answer
    Today I also tried disabling the AppArmor in Ubuntu and also removing whole Zimbra and installing older Zimbra 8.0.3, unfortunately its still not working. Administration is still showing me that some services are not running and I can send or receive emails.
    DNS records should be fine, because I was using postfix with dovecot on this server before Zimbra and it was working without any problems.

I'm not sure it's relevant or not but FWIW I am running ZCS 8.0.6 on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit and in the Zimbra Web Admin console I see the services in a stopped state sometimes. Even though running zmcontrol status shows them all running and I can send/receive mail no problem. It sounds like some sort of bug in the 8.0.x series, but I've also seen this coming from the 7.2.x series as well.

Interesting re: MTA trusted networks. I didn't have to set any of this to get mail working out of the box.

Do you have any stacktraces that have been spit out lately? Maybe the mta service is having problems?

Also, what queue are the messages sitting in? Deferred, etc?

Thank you for your reply.
    Well I have seen some videos of installation ZCS on Ubuntu 12.04 and it seems to be without problems, I think theres something different in 13.10 which causes these problems.
    Administration still shows that services are not running, but as you said I also thought everything is running well, except delivering the messages, and if I go to Monitor->Message Count(for example, its doing this for all of them except Message Queue), I get this error:

Code:
    Message: system failure: Unable to read logger stats Error code: service.FAILURE Method: [unknown] Details:soap:Receiver

I am not sure if I was supposed to add MTA Trusted network, it didnt work, so I was looking for some way how to fix this and this was just one of the logical steps to try

Yes, my messages are Deferred.. here you can see the whole log line:
    Code:
    Jan 12 17:44:23 intossh postfix/smtp[27595]: 1AD995018BA: to=<jerryn@gmail.com>, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10026, delay=0.11, delays=0.11/0.01/0/0, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] while receiving the initial server greeting)
    If I am correct port 10026 should be amavisd. As I remember when I was installing postfix with Dovecot and Amavisd manually there had to be some settings done in amavisd to allow localhost and local interfaces. Maybe its the same problem.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by InToSSH View Post
    Well I have seen some videos of installation ZCS on Ubuntu 12.04 and it seems to be without problems, I think theres something different in 13.10 which causes these problems.
    The problem with installing ZCS on an unsupported platform is that you will not be able to file bug reports nor get any support for your installation. ZCS is not built for, nor tested on, Ubuntu 13.10 - use a supported platform and you should have a better experience.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The problem with installing ZCS on an unsupported platform is that you will not be able to file bug reports nor get any support for your installation. ZCS is not built for, nor tested on, Ubuntu 13.10 - use a supported platform and you should have a better experience.
    Of course, I know that its not supported, unfortunately server dedicated to run the ZCS is currently running Ubuntu 13.10, as it has been recently updated and its running another services aswell so I cannot simply reinstall it to 12.04. I was just hoping that someone here might have some experience with installing ZCS to Ubuntu 13.10 and they would know of some fix for this.. Is there any ETA when ZCS could officialy support Ubuntu 13.10?
    Thank you.

I'm sure Zimbra will eventually pick up this thread and give you an ETA. Are you in a virtual/cloud environment? If so, standing up Ubuntu 12.04 and doing a migration would be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by czguy View Post
    I'm sure Zimbra will eventually pick up this thread and give you an ETA. Are you in a virtual/cloud environment? If so, standing up Ubuntu 12.04 and doing a migration would be pretty easy.
    Unfortunately its not virtual environment.. its HP ProLiant server in our company, which serves as web server, mysql database, dhcp and dns for our network..
    Maybe I could virtually run Ubuntu 12.04 on top of 13.10 but I wouldnt be happy to do that.. I am not sure about the performance and stability if I do this at company.