Is it policyd which leads to greylistnig and delaying?
And this document seems to be implying that I need to create and import an sqlite table or set of tables. Why in the world would anyone build such a cool platform which makes admins have to deal with db tables and other such things? That is one confusing doc all of a sudden. It's not clear if this is for developers or the admin
I have disabled this option for now.
PolicyD is the engine, for greylist, IP blacklist / throttling, helo checks, spf checkd, etc, etc.....
What it checks, depends entirely on what you enable.
I think I'm going to run ASSP in front of zimbra. I don't want to go messing with so many things which could break the server :)
Smart choice. Also consider SNF, Welcome to ARM Research Labs, Inc.
Really fast, very few false positives.
I seem to have tried out ASSP also, but gave that up.
I dont remember why, but i guess Mac OS X is in there somewhere... ;-)
I guess I will have to run ASSP in front of the server. That is very sad because zimbra should have better spam controls built right in without having to run another server in front of it. ASSP is free by the way and if you understand zimbra, you will easily understand ASSP. ASSP is an amazing spam solution, just a tad more of a learning curve than most would hope for however.
Thank you very much for all of your help and the information. I may give it all a try at some point on a secondary non production server.
1.def pay spamhaus for their RBL, 90% spam gone
2. def register with barracuda to be able to use their free RBL, another 5% spam gone
3. def set up URIBL and SURIBL (part of spamhaus), and score URIBL_BLACK and URIBL_SPAM high (i have set them to 200 to avoid confusion, as my SA kills mail over 15), another 3% spam gone
4. def set up SNF to scan the content of emails, mathematically, against a database of such expressions to catch out stuff that SpamAssassin itself doesnt figure out
5. Turn on Spamassassin to start automatically downloading rulebase
6. Turn on Spamassassin to restart after rule update + learn from users junk-folderrs
7. Turn on Auto-Learn so that Spamassassin learns automatically what is spam and not
8. I am installing Razor, Pyzor and DSPAM tomorrow; most people rave about the latter, so i am rather excited about that.
PS: again, DEFENITELY do step 1,2 and 3.. ;-)
>1.def pay spamhaus for their RBL, 90% spam gone
This part I can get done with ASSP :)
However, I certainly will check out steps 2-8 tomorrow!
I have yet to find enough information on how to do 4-7 however.
Thanks for so many good details!
Looks like I already had spam assassin enabled. I forgot that I already had some RBL's configured on the server as well.
Most confusing that all services seem to be running yet no matter how many times we flag something as spam, it just keeps on coming into the mailboxes.