Thread: Migrating from Zimbra 5 to 8

Hybrid View

Default Migrating from Zimbra 5 to 8

Hi all,

I have a big challenge that I need your help with.

I have recently joined a company that is running Zimbra 5 on CentOS 4.5 with roughly 200 accounts. These are mostly IMAP accounts that vary in size anywhere from 100MB - 9GB. I am mostly a microsoft guy and definitely a newbie in Linux and Zimbra environments. I have to admit that since using Zimbra, I absolutely love it and think it has a lot to offer and is a good substitute for Exchange.

I recently migrated a server from Zimbra 7 to 8 by using a combination of the migration wizard for transferring the user accounts as well as the Export/Import function to transfer the actual IMAP mailboxes from the old to the new server. Keep in mind that both servers were on the same LAN.

In the case of the 5 to 8 upgrade which is my current challenge and the reason I am writing this post, I not only have a version gap challenge, but also the server running Zimbra 5 is in a physically different location. My plan is to install Zimbra 8 on CentOS 6.5 at my location and then migrate the users and their emails over from the remote location over to Zimbra 8.

Again, I am fairly new to the Zimbra and Linux environments and would appreciate a really detailed and step-by-step instructions that would help me accomplish this. You can assume that I have access to the physical server running Zimbra 5 and can save everything onto an external hard drive. You can also assume that I can connect to the Zimbra 5 server remotely. Last but not least, I will setting up and running Zimbra 8 on CentOS 6.5 as a virtual server accessible via VCenter.

Thank you for all your help!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You'd need to upgrade your current server to a more recent release of ZCS but what about taking a look at ZeXtras?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your response and the link about ZeXtras. It seems like this is EXACTLY what I need to successfully and seamlessly complete the migration process without going through the trouble of a laborious manual migration. Are you aware of any potential risks that I should be aware of when installing ZeXtras on the Zimbra 5 production server? or on any zimbra server for that matter? I am thinking I should perform a full backup of the server before I install ZeXtras, but since it is a very old physical server, it may prove to be somewhat difficult to do so. Any general/specific advice that can prevent a disaster is much appreciated

Thanks again!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

No, there shouldn't be any problems but as I mentioned you'll have to upgrade your ZCS version on the source server - check the ZeXtras documentation for the exact minimum version required. The only proviso I'd add is to take a full backup of your server before installing or upgrading anything. What is you current server specifications?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.