I am running 8.0.6 on centos 6.4.

I have looked at many articles showing how to enable spam services and configurations but most seem to be more confusing than useful because as you get working on a solution, you find out that things were changed in zimbra so that no longer applies or just plain breaks the server.
I started working on configuring policyd but after enabling that, it seemed the documentation was telling me I now needed to learn about sqlite and do all kinds of funky things to get spam controls into place.

In fact, I'm afraid to configure much other than standard services because each time I restart the server, I get the dreaded permissions problem and/or other problems. Zimbra seems to be incredibly delicate and easy to break.

It appears that I have spam assassin enabled and I do have DNS checks enabled with some RBL services configured and I've checked all of the items as well such as reject unknown hosts and the other two items.

antispam Running
antivirus Running
ldap Running
logger Running
mailbox Running
mta Running
opendkim Running
snmp Running
spell Running
stats Running
zmconfigd Running

We continuously flag the spam and the same items just keep on coming over and over again, thousands and thousands of them. I don't want to have to run ASSP in front of this server, I wanted this server to be a solution I could suggest to customers but it is frustrating now.

I badly need some advise from long time users, but in an easy to understand for beginner manner would be so appreciated. I don't want to give up on zimbra but at the moment, it is nearly unusable on it's own.