Thread: Thunderbird on pop not receiving messages

Default Thunderbird on pop not receiving messages

Hello all,

We have running version 8.0.4 for about 6 months on our company server on a CENTOS 6 installation, with all clients (~20) running Thunderbird front end(of differing versions with 17 and 24 being the most common).

The issue is that on multiple occasions and across multiple PC configurations (Ubuntu + TB, Windows + TB), users and I myself have experienced Thunderbird reporting that there are "no new messages for <email account>" and will no longer download any new email.

Upon checking the webmail of the user accounts in question, there are indeed new emails but Thunderbird will not download them.

I have tried compacting and rebuilding the accounts on Thunderbird but this does not solve the problem. I have found that deleting popstate.dat may or may not solve the problem but then we'd have to deal with the duplicates. The temporary solution we have been using so far (until the error happens again) is to delete the Thunderbird account on the computer and remake it.

I have tried to look up the bugs on the wiki as well as searching on the forum and this person seems to describe the same issue.

Our server is configured to use pop with the ff settings in Thunderbird:
    Server Name: (Server IP)
    Port: 995
    Connection Security: SSL/TLS
    Authentication: Normal Password

This appears to be a Zimbra <--> Thunderbird issue, and I will probably be attempting to upgrade to 8.0.6 in the coming weeks if time permits.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or is there something that I may have overlooked?

Many thanks and regards,

mda

tl&dr;

Zimbra and Thunderbird seem to be running fine except when TB no longer wants to download messages. The messages are there on the server but TB seems to randomly choose to get stuck and start to not download them.

Hi,
    I have also similar intermittent problems with Thunderbird and Zimbra 8. In my case, it is related to the POP3 throttling feature. mailboxd.log shows the following entries:
    pop - throttling POP3 connection for remote IP x
    It seems to occur when the user has lots of emails to fetch on his inbox.
    See How to disable POP3 throttling
    Mathieu

Quote Originally Posted by mpeltier View Post
    Hi,
    I have also similar intermittent problems with Thunderbird and Zimbra 8. In my case, it is related to the POP3 throttling feature. mailboxd.log shows the following entries:
    pop - throttling POP3 connection for remote IP x
    It seems to occur when the user has lots of emails to fetch on his inbox.
    See How to disable POP3 throttling
    Mathieu
    Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I have currently tried setting the pop3 values to 2000 to see if this reduces/eliminates frequent occurrence of the issue.

In the meantime, to add info - I have tried running Zimbra Desktop alongside Thunderbird to see if this happens to both clients and it only appears to affect Thunderbird.

Again, many thanks and I will report back any relevant information/updates.

mda