Thread: Help with Migration using ZeXtras Migration Tool

Post Help with Migration using ZeXtras Migration Tool

Hi Guys,

I'm just new here. I want to make a backup email server using MX record. I have existing email running on Ubuntu 10.0.4 with Zimbra Collaboration Suite 7.2.1. Everything is fine on the current server but a backup mail server is necessary for my disaster and recovery. I came about ZeXtras Migration Tool but it's a trial for 30 days. Does anyone have use and tried successfully this third party solution to migrate existing mail server to new server? I'm doing a cloning of my old mail server hard disk (main) to test on my email server backup but I get a non-working clone. I have a new hard disk used but it won't boot after a successful cloning. Tried the old hard disk to boot and it was okay meaning the source disk is really working.

I hope anyone can guide me how to use the ZeXtras Migration Tool to migrate existing live server to my email backup server? If done successful, configurations will be next to synchronize mailbox of main email server to backup server. Thank you.

Hi i've use Zxmig(export) and ZeXtras(import backup) for migration from Zimbra7.1.4 (with Ubuntu) to a new server with Zimbra8.0.6 (Ubuntu). All server are virtual with wmware.
    All ok except POP3 account that saved emails to server ... they redownload all.

Hi Matiaz,

Thanks for that info. But, do you have solution that it work in POP3 that emails save to server. I can't afford down to have downtime as email is the primary communication of the company. I'll try and see if there is a solution for it. Good day!.

I dont find solution, but i dont check too much for it because i had few accounts with this problem, about 20.
    I use a bad way to solve ... for POP3 account that have mails on server i enter with their zimbra account on zimbra-web , make a new "Inbox sav" and move all mail to that folder so they dont redownload all again.
    But i have few accounts with this problem ... if you have 200 accounts its a different thing.

I hope i help u a bit
    Sorry for bad english

PS: u can read this http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Prevent_...post_migration
    Last edited by Matiaz; 03-06-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Hello everybody!

Unfortunately there is no way to stop POP3 clients from duplicating all emails after a migration, unless you move the existing Zimbra installation instead of migrating.
    The workaround in the link Matiaz suggested is a bit risky, since following that method will make ANY old email unavailable to the client - even those which have not been downloaded at all.

I didn't fully grasp your initial requirement (are you planning a "one-shot" migration or to implement a full Disaster Recovery plan?), but for any further information about ZeXtras Suite and the ZeXtras Migration Tool please feel free to drop me a PM or join the official ZeXtras Forums!
    Cine - Community Manager - ZeXtras
    www.zextras.com

Default Question about your Zimbra migration using ZeXtras

Quote Originally Posted by Matiaz View Post
    Hi i've use Zxmig(export) and ZeXtras(import backup) for migration from Zimbra7.1.4 (with Ubuntu) to a new server with Zimbra8.0.6 (Ubuntu). All server are virtual with wmware.
    All ok except POP3 account that saved emails to server ... they redownload all.
    I'm looking at doing something very similar to what you did, using ZeXtras to migrate from a multi-server SLES 11 system, running Zimbra 7.2.2 to a multi-server Ubuntu system, running Zimbra 8.0.7.

How did you set up the target server(s) before beginning the import? Did you configure the server with the same domain name, or did you upgrade your old Zimbra 7 ldap to Zimgra 8 and install Zimbra 8 servers before beginning the import?

If you have any links that were helpful, I would really appreciate any information you have.

Thanks!

Mark
    Release 7.2.2_GA_2852.SLES11_64_20121204211855 SLES11_64 NETWORK edition.

There is a misconception in original poster's article. MX backup, is not the same as Zimbra backup, as Zimbra is multi-service (to say so) solution. If you have a single server installation, MX is just a part of whole Zimbra stack. In short, if you really need MX backup, just launch another Zimbra MTA role only server with local or remote (presumably over ssl) connection for user authentication to LDAP, and point is with different priority in MX record. you don't need to do anything else. In such a case, if primary MX (MTA) for some reason might fail, your mails will be routed to secondary MX (MTA) server. And because, it would be a member of ZCS configuration, all the other things would be put into places automatically.

On the other part, if you look for ZCS Mailbox part DR solution, there are no such to be very reliable, and it will involve manual tunings, etc. And solution would greatly depend on your infrastructure architecture. E.g. whether your backup ZCS Mailbox server is in the same room, as primary, or you need to spread it geographically (other city/data center). Depending on this info, there are several ways to go from there...