Thread: Zimbra (Whats after setting up Split DNS, and MX and A records to access email)

Default Zimbra (Whats after setting up Split DNS, and MX and A records to access email)

Hi Everyone,

It's my first time posting and I'm glad I joined a great community,

I finished the installation after following this video step by step, no numbers or anything else was changed except the domain name which I changed following the video.

All the steps taken on split dns was done because I remember editing those files.

The used method was dnsmasq,

Video for tutorial used
    Zimbra 7.1.4 OSE Ubuntu 10.04 With Apache Web Server Installation HD Video Tutorial 1 HR. - YouTube

Perfect time was at 30:15 (For brief overview of what I did on the dnsmasq)

My question is basically simple after I finished the installation zimbra works with no issues if I type in 192.168.0.125, but I how do I connect directly with the subdomain name to my mail.apples.com from any location in any web browser, what needs to be edited to have the hosted domain (godaddy or hostgator) communicate or pretty much forward itself to your local computer that is behind a nat that was properly configured with dnsmasq? and I know for sure that it won't work unless the ip is 92.68.45.12 or something without the 192, I discussed with a friend and he advised I use a ddns or a dynamic domain name server on my router which I have under tools on the dlink menu

As far as I seen there needs to be 2 records in the dns zone file on your provider like godaddy or hostgator that need to be edited like the A and MX record, this one thread almost hit it on the nail but i discovered that the wan ip is not similar to my setup or maybe it is idk. Another thing is guys even if im close and it'll only take me a few minutes to get this working all I probably need is to edit the dns zone record but everytime I look at it I don't wanna mess anything up nor I know what to put where, I see (Host) than (Points to)

I know (Host) is probably mail, than (Points to) is probably the IP address but not the 192.168.0.125 because that's behind a nat

I hope I was thorough enough guys if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it, I'm not as network savvy I tried my best searching through the forums to find the best answer and all I find is split dns, but even if you do split dns than whats after that?

Thanks a lot guys you guys are awesome,

David

Did you take a look at this page ? https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Split_D..._Zimbra_Server

You may need to post your conf files if you want to speed up things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasowski View Post
    Did you take a look at this page ? https://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/Split_D..._Zimbra_Server

Thanks Wasowski,

I'm going to go over the dnsmasq files again and double check everything, I'll post back with the info in a few

Quote Originally Posted by Wasowski View Post

Cool ok added a print screen shot, I ran through the tutorial and I think I see the problem, I'm not sure but I'll let you guys poke and see and I'm sure it's that comcast thing I changed it but it keeps coming back no matter how many times I change it.

I thank you guys for helping out, this thing has me growing white hairs and I'm pretty sure that once you guys take a quick peek its like well there's the problem
    Attached Images Attached Images