Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZCO/Outlook and Junk Mail

Default ZCO/Outlook and Junk Mail

Hey everyone,
    I have the Network Edition and some clients connected to Zimbra via Outlook and the Outlook Connector. When they get junk mail in their inbox they want to flag it as spam and put it in the Junk Email folder. Will Zimbra's spamassassin learn from individual user junk mail boxes?
    Or do they have to either
    a) use the webmail to mark certain mail as junk (this wouldn't be convenient considering they use Outlook all day in the office)
    b) should I setup an alias to one of the spam training accounts and have them forward everything to that account?

How does everyone else train their spam filter via Outlook and the connector? Is the only to train it by using the webmail and marking emails as junk?

Sam may have to check me on this, but I belive that the only way to have the system learn from spam is the web ui.

You could set up an IMAP account in outlook and move the messages into the account so that it get's analyzed during the cron job.

-john

Hey jholder and thanks for the response. It seems to me though that you guys should change this in a future release (hopefully sometime very soon). I run the Network Edition on RHEL4 and it's my opinion that Outlook should do everything that the webmail does. Alot of our users, while they say great things about the webmail, prefer to use Outlook in the office, and on their home computers. Creating a seperate IMAP connection for junk mail purposes ontop of their ZCO connector wouldn't be a proper solution in my mind. Can we look to get some sort of Junk Mail implementation in Outlook the same as in the webmail? Or for the time being could I have users forward their email to spam@ZimbraHost.com ? Really what I would like to see if a "Junk" button in Outlook that did the same as the Junk button in the webmail.
    -Reza

Quote Originally Posted by reza225 View Post
    Hey jholder and thanks for the response. It seems to me though that you guys should change this in a future release (hopefully sometime very soon).
    I don't see an RFE - Please file one.

I run the Network Edition on RHEL4 and it's my opinion that Outlook should do everything that the webmail does.
    There are some features that simply will not be available via outlook such as zimlets. We try to allow outlook to do *most* of the things the zwui does, and your request seems very reasonable.

Creating a seperate IMAP connection for junk mail purposes ontop of their ZCO connector wouldn't be a proper solution in my mind.
    Yup. At most, it's a "workaround"

Can we look to get some sort of Junk Mail implementation in Outlook the same as in the webmail?
    See comment #1

Or for the time being could I have users forward their email to spam@ZimbraHost.com ? Really what I would like to see if a "Junk" button in Outlook that did the same as the Junk button in the webmail.
    -Reza
    That sounds good too.

Don't forget to file that enhancement.

-john

What is an RFE? And I will file for an enhancement request. Just got to find it .
    Thanks for the speedy response, your support team has been unbelievably awesome; especially Ramadan Mansoura. Seeing the Junk button built into Outlook would be awesome and I dont think too unreasonable. Zimlets however...I bet that would be a nightmare to implement into Outlook.
    thanks again

Thanks for that.
    I've let Ramadan know.

An RFE is a Request For Enhancement. You can file them in the bugzilla:

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com

Thanks
    john

Any updates on this? for now i just have users forward their spam to spam@mydomain.tld which is aliased to the spam training account. I think my clients feel it's a bit cumbersome though to have to forward each email vs. clicking a button

Watch and vote for this bug:
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9532

They seem to have marked a general RFE for 'make a better spam train for outlook' as a dupe of this bug, so this is the one to watch.

Watch and vote for this bug:
    http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9532

They seem to have marked a general RFE for 'make a better spam train for outlook' as a dupe of this bug, so this is the one to watch.

I am using the alias Iamspam for spam and Iamnotspam for ham. I am having users forward messages that slip through the filter to those aliases. But I am checking the spam accnt and its not clearing out messages that are sent to it over night now there is a weeks worth of mail in there. Am I doing something wrong?