Thread: Free/Busy interop with Exchange 2013

Default Free/Busy interop with Exchange 2013

I've been fruitlessly scouring Google (which thinks "Outlook" is a good synonym for "Exchange") and even the hated Bing for hours, and so far I've come up empty.

We're running Zimbra 7.2.0 Network Edition, and have to get it to work side-by-side with Exchange 2013. I've got e-mail routing between the two quite happily as per the Split Domain wiki page (Zimbra as primary, Exchange as secondary). Where I'm stuck now is getting Free/Busy information flowing between the two. Specifically I'm having trouble with the following:
    1. Setting up Exchange to share this information
    2. Finding the information I need to plug into Zimbra to get it

I've found lots of information about doing this with Exchange 2003, 2007, or 2010, but nothing for 2013. Surely someone has some experience with this one and can at least get me pointed in the right direction?

I've managed to make some progress based on the Exchange 2010 steps found here, although I needed to do several things different due to the significant architectural differences (I'll write up complete steps if-and-when I get this working). I've now progressed to getting "check.BAD_URL" when testing my settings.

The URL I'm using is https://exchangeserver/EWS/Exchange.asmx. Evidently this is not the correct URL, although running Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory in the EMS does indeed show the exact same URL (including same case and everything). What's not right here?

Okay, I've got Zimbra reading free/busy from Exchange 2013 now. I had the right URL, despite the "Check settings" button continuing to return "check.BAD_URL" -- looks like it's a false positive there. The real issue was the absolutely insane changes Exchange 2013 has made to the legacyExchangeDn attribute in AD, which greatly complicates this configuration.

Soon as I get it going the other way (looks like I have to configure Zimbra to "push" the free/busy info to Exchange -- yes?), I'll post how I was able to accomplish this so that others can benefit as well. (Although if anyone wants to chime in with how to get Zimbra free/busy info into Exchange for users over there to see, it would save me time and grief and I'd really appreciate it!)

No joy getting Exchange users to see any free/busy info about Zimbra users. I'm beginning to think it's a lost cause -- not ready to completely give up, but this is definitely switching to the back burner after a quick survey of our users says it's not a huge issue if they can't see free/busy information for others for a while. Logs show this error:

Code:
    2014-04-24 22:24:42,072 ERROR [EXCHANGE2010 Free/Busy Sync Queue] [] fb - error commucating to https://exchange-1.example.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.zimbra.cs.fb.ExchangeEWSFreeBusyProvider.handleMailboxChange(ExchangeEWSFreeBusyProvider.java:545)
            at com.zimbra.cs.fb.FreeBusyProvider$FreeBusySyncQueue.run(FreeBusyProvider.java:263)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
    At this point my conclusion is quite simply that it just doesn't work with Exchange 2013, that just enough was changed since 2010 that Zimbra can read it, but not push to it. If correct, then short of a Zimbra upgrade (which, at least for now, is not on the table) there's just no way to make this work.