Thread: LDAP, zimbra 7.2, and localconfig.xml relationship

Default LDAP, zimbra 7.2, and localconfig.xml relationship

Greetings,

I am preparing to do a migration of 32 to 64. On a working 7.2 Network/Pro zimbra colloboration suite, I notice this behavior. File permission are set with localconfig.xml as 640 owned by zimbra and group zimbra... same as original. I have already updated the mysql passwords to be the same on both the 32 and 64 machines and this was a non issue getting the two in sync.

1) If I shutdown working zimbra
    2) Update the localconfig.xml with new passwords from my 32 bit instance and restart
    3) It will fail on startup with:

Starting ldap...Done.
    Unable to determine enabled services from ldap.
    Enabled services read from cache. Service list may be inaccurate.

then

1) If I put back the old localconfig.xml and restart its good

I tried to come at it from another way using zmldapasswd but think I am missing the relationship between localconfig.xml, zmldapasswd, etc.

I can use zmldappasswd to set the zimbra_ldap_passwd but then next command like zmlpasswd -r ldap_root_password will fail

Thought I would give myself a headstart by getting most of the passwords the same before I start messing around with ldap structure but not getting very far.

I was hoping to understand what is going on before I regenerate certs, remove redologs, etc and start mucking around with a working configuration given the many solutions I have found that people have tried.

I am following along the "Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server document" where they mention to edit localconfig.xml

If I diff my two localconfig.xml - it shows nothing different other than passwords. If I grep for the ldap password in the backup of my ldap dumps, I don't it in there either... Is there a place that these passwords might be stored somewhere else? I am at a loss of what is going on here.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

A little more info about my problem.
    [LDAP: error code 49 - Invalid Credentials])

Fixed it by this article. Apparently it also works for version 7 and not just version 5 as listed

Setting zimbra admin password in LDAP - Zimbra :: Wiki

There must be a simpler way but I couldn't find it.

I did waste a huge amount of time going down wrong paths like DNS, regenerating certs, etc, etc. LOL

Hope this help others.

Jim