Thread: Backup of Zimbra OS Edition

Default Backup of Zimbra OS Edition

I setup Zimbra on a CentOS system using the Quick Start Installation Guide, including using the recommended disk partitions. Meaning I have an approximately 100 MB /boot partition, a swap partition double the size of my RAM, and the rest is left to /. I specifically chose to setup "/" under LVM because I wanted to use the LVM Open Source Backup Procedure script described in the Wiki. However, I guess I didn't read over the documentation for the backup script good enough, because I don't think the script will work with the recommended disk partitioning. Either that or I don't understand what it is doing (I admit to being a novice on LVM snapshots).

If I'm reading the script correctly, it needs to setup a snapshot Logical Volume on a volume separate from where Zimbra is installed. But with the recommended disk partitioning installation a separate logical volume doesn't exist; there's only the one for "/".

So, can someone set me straight? Am I just out of luck for using the LVM backup script, or am I missing something?

TIA,
    John

Default adminzimbra ver 0.2

Im working in a new text-admin-tool for Zimbra, based in python scripts, this has full backup-restore based in rsync for to update the diferences betwen zimbra and backup, its work fine for me and it work in suse10.1 and centos 4.4 ,please review the wiki: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...tore_procedure
    ~ Leandro Rache Sanchez
    (. .) leandro@hipertek.net
    \V/
    //"\\ Hipertek Ltda
    /( ' )\ info@hipertek.net
    ^*-*^ http://www.hipertek.net
    ----------------------------------------------

Thanks for pointing me to the link for your script on the Wiki. I checked it out, but I have two issues. First, I don't read/speak Spanish. I tried using Google translator, and that worked OK, but of course it wasn't perfect, and it didn't do the screen shots that you have in there. Second, and more importantly, I am looking for something that I can use to do an unattended backup of Zimbra, without having to stop the services for too long. The LVM script looked perfect, but it looks like I am out of luck with that. I still need to check out the perl scripts referenced on the same Wiki page.

Thanks anyway. From what I could understand, your script looks interesting and may help in other ways.

Default About Script

Hi Soxfan,
    My script for now is based in a direct copy of diferences betwen original and backup of zimbra, then the time of zimbra is down is only for the copy of diferences betwen both (Original and backup), For local Copy it is more quick that a NFS Copy, but the size of disk is more, and really this is not a real backup, for me a real backup is external to original files (in other PC or media), im working in a hot backup but it is not ready now, maybe in other release of adminzimbra. I develop adminzimbra thinking in translation, and the wiki doc would be translated soon, i believe.
    ~ Leandro Rache Sanchez
    (. .) leandro@hipertek.net
    \V/
    //"\\ Hipertek Ltda
    /( ' )\ info@hipertek.net
    ^*-*^ http://www.hipertek.net
    ----------------------------------------------