Thread: company name change

Hybrid View

Default company name change

As part of the company name change, the email domain has changed from domainone.com to domaintwo.com.

What's the best way to do it with zimbra (open source)?

A quick bandaid I can think is to create the new domaintwo.com as an alias and forward to email to the old domainone.com:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847

pros: people can still use the old username/password to login; have access to all their old emails; minimal changes to the system.
    cons: old domain is still being used.

A better solution: create the new domaintwo.com domain; somehow import all users/data from domainone to domaintwo (how?); delete the old domainone; create domainone as an alias to forward all incomings to domaintwo; eventually delete domainone when nobody is using domainone in the future.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by liug View Post
    A quick bandaid I can think is to create the new domaintwo.com as an alias and forward to email to the old domainone.com:
    Nan, there's better at the end of this post 8)

pros: people can still use the old username/password to login; have access to all their old emails; minimal changes to the system.
    Yup.

cons: old domain is still being used.
    I don't really see this as a "cons" as most customers/contacts might not use the new one quick. What is needed is to change the "Reply-To" field for each of your users, to be sure it shows the new domain.
    The main cons I see is that your users will never be able to log in with the new domain accounts (at least until this feature gets implemented : you can log in with an account alias but not an domain alias).

A better solution: create the new domaintwo.com domain; somehow import all users/data from domainone to domaintwo (how?); delete the old domainone; create domainone as an alias to forward all incomings to domaintwo; eventually delete domainone when nobody is using domainone in the future.
    First, create your new domain (not an alias, obviously).
    Then get all your existing accounts with
    Code:
    zmprov gaa
    After that, create a tiny script that renames your accounts with command line, using
    Code:
    zmprov ra {name@domainone} {newName@domaintwo}
    Finally create remove the old domain and create it back as a domain alias to the new one (and give your users their new accounts 8)).

Et voila.

Thanks for the reply!

Will the "rename" only get the username/password (account info) changed to the new domain? or will it also "move" the old emails, etc. to the new domain? Just want to make sure if all the "objects" that the user owns will be moved to.

When you delete the old domain, will it recursively delete all its owned "objects" ?

Will the "rename" only get the username/password (account info) changed to the new domain? or will it also "move" the old emails, etc. to the new domain? Just want to make sure if all the "objects" that the user owns will be moved to.
    The accounts is renamed, everything that goes with it (the "objects") stay with it.

When you delete the old domain, will it recursively delete all its owned "objects" ?
    You can not delete a domain (through the webUI) if there are accounts in it.

Default Question ?

thanks klug !
    I think it will be very usefull for me in close futur...

At the begining, I thought that the alias domain (cf the link posted earlier by liug) but the fact that the users could'nt log with this new alias is a real bad point...
    Just imagine, with several needed domains (ok I'm not in this case, it's juste a question), it could be a problem no ?
    I find nothing about this in the bugzilla ...

sorry for my poor english

Erwan
    Aleikoum ne mesure pas le web !
    Run, run... ruuuuuuuun !

Quote Originally Posted by labynocle View Post
    thanks klug !
    De rien 8)

Quote Originally Posted by labynocle View Post
    Just imagine, with several needed domains (ok I'm not in this case, it's juste a question), it could be a problem no ?
    I find nothing about this in the bugzilla ...
    I don't get it.

Repose ta question en français, je la traduirai et j'y répondrais 8)