Thread: How do you manage missing emails? Do you have this problem?

Default How do you manage missing emails? Do you have this problem?

From time to time, sadly every week or so, some user will ask about an email she was waiting for and that supposedly was sent by her contact, so she will go and blame the mail server because se had not got the email. This multiply by several users.

This "users" are administrators on our final customers, that are companies.

But after going through the logs we always found out that the problems were outside our domain, like:

• The message never arrives to our servers
    • The sender was on a blacklist
    • The message got blocked by some policy, like message to big

I'd would like to know if you also have to deal with this kind of situation and how are doing it, and if not, why?

Thanks you so much.
    Patricio Bruna
    http://www.itlinux.cl

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pbruna View Post
    [*]The message never arrives to our servers
    There's nothing you can do about that, how would you ever know it was sent if it doesn't arrive at your server?

[*]The sender was on a blacklist
    There's nothing you can do about that other than a) don't use RBLs (unwise) or b) whitelist all your expected inbound domains.

[*]The message got blocked by some policy, like message to big
    The sender will get a notification about that and they should contact you again or you can increase your maximum message size.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I did not explain my self very well, I know all about the points you made, what I don't know if we are the only ones experiences this issues that generate reticence from our customers.

The question I'm trying to resolve is how do you (as a service provider, support or consultancy) manage this and reduce the disbelief on the platform for your users or clients. Or you don't have this problem at all, or its to small to be significant to resolve?

Thanks.
    Patricio Bruna
    http://www.itlinux.cl

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I did not explain my self very well, I know all about the points you made, what I don't know if we are the only ones experiences this issues that generate reticence from our customers.
    Sorry, I didn't quite understand your question.

The question I'm trying to resolve is how do you (as a service provider, support or consultancy) manage this and reduce the disbelief on the platform for your users or clients. Or you don't have this problem at all, or its to small to be significant to resolve?
    The last point in your list is the only one for which the user (specifically the user) will receive a notification of failure to deliver the email.

It's difficult to give a definitive answer to the other two points, if the email isn't received then there's not much you can do about convincing the sender that you've not received it - you can't prove a negative. For the ones that are on a blacklist the answer would depend on whether the sender is an individual or sending mail through a specific server that's on a blacklist. It would (possibly) mean a lot of work isolate a genuine client or customer that is sending you an email but getting rejected because of a blacklist but..... if you find such emails in your logs then send them the details of the problem (including details of the RBL they're on) and add them to a whitelist.

I have had problems in the past with all of those things but thankfully they've been very few.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.