Thread: Fetch from catchall

Default Fetch from catchall

Hi, I'm newbie in Zimbra but I i'm familliar with Hmail. I already install ZCS 8.07 in ubuntu 12.04 right now and I want to setup zimbra to fetch email from catchall account from hosted mail server and distribute to user in my zimbra server.

What I do now is let every user to fetch email from their own email account at hosted mail.

I already search via google with keywords "zimbra catchall external" and I've got many hits, it make so confuse.

So can can someone pls pointed me to right direction ?

below i give an illustration what I've done so far and what I want to do.

Thanks

Bandoro

this what i do now

this what i want to be
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think, what you're trying to do, is to use Zimbra as a webmail as a main purpose. It's not designed for this, or, even, if you can achieve the result, it would be big overkill for your needs, or introduce unnecessary burden to troubleshoot mail traveling. If you still consider some "vague solutions", here are a couple of ways:

1. Register your users on your ZCS server, and create external accounts for each of them. Provide relevant POP/IMAP data and hostname. By this, Zimbra server will go to your hosted mail server on intervals configured (I think, default was 1x 5mins), and fetch mails from hosted mail server. IMAP connection in this case would require the same amount of storage for account on hosted Mail server as on ZCS server, but that would be the most reliable. Or, if there are any problems with mail reception, they could be troubleshooted at Hosted mail server side.

2. Configure a single account on Zimbra server, and set it to be CatchAll account:
    As a Zimbra user, run this command, substituting your domain:
    Code:
    $ zmprov md YYY.state.XX.us zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @YYY.state.XX.us
    Additional info from here (not particularly for your situation, but any way, more info is better): Ajcody-Migration-Notes - Zimbra :: Wiki

When you start to receive all mail coming from hosted mail server in this account, add Incoming filters, by catching To or Cc field content, and forwarding messages to internal user accounts. Note, that there would be no way to catch Bcc field content, or re-route e-mails, that are sent to mailing lists with a single mail address, as you can not write a filter for this.

But in this scenario, you still get too much complexity and ways to fail in mail communications, and it does not relieve you from burden to setup zimbra, dns and outgoing mail issues anyway.

In essence, I do not think, that it's viable to build any of these, if only you do have any specific particular needs, that such overkill is worth it. Just put all on ZCS server and you'll be in control.

Thanks j2b for explanation.

Actually what i'm trying to do is to make zimbra as permanent storage for email and host mail server just temporary.

it's a lot cheaper to have 1 TB storage of your own than hosting mail server for same amount size.

Bandoro

I would doubt this, as 1TB for Zimbra RAID 10 with HW RAID and SAS disks, it would be far from cheep. Or you'll get into performance problems. If you have no or small load on server, it might be ok, but still, if you plan to rely on a single 1TB Sata drive - you'll punish yourself afterwards