Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: zimbra moves emails into trash - I don't know why

Mountain House, CA

Imap client was connecting using this account. Blackberry was configured with spam filters to move messages to trash. Disabled spam filtering and we are good now.

Yorba Linda, CA
    Default Disappearing Messages

I had a user complain that Zimbra mysteriously deleted any messages left in his inbox longer than a few minutes. He also told me that if he moved the messages to another folder, the messages were "safe" and not deleted. I am using RC2, but the user was not using IMAP. I am proposing a Zimbra rollout company-wide when 5.0 is released (possibly sooner if my ISP keeps acting up), and so this came as a real concern to me.

I sat at the user's desk, and watched to make sure that nothing untoward was happening, and lo and behold, I saw the messages disappear myself. (The messages were not going to the trash, they were disappearing altogether.) Well, once I saw it happen with my own eyes, I went to the logs and the forums. The logs had an IP address I didn't recognize doing POP lookups on my (rather small, test) system. I looked up the IP address, and it belonged to a little company in Mountain View, CA called Google. I then preceded to ask my user, "Does your G-mail account check your company (Zimbra) E-mail?" Sure enough, he answered, "Yeah, it does, but I have it set not to delete messages off the server. I'm sure." As I sat down, he said, "Well, at least I think so." His G-mail account settings told a different story.

With a change to prevent G-mail from deleting his messages from Zimbra, the problem was solved. Thanks to adrian for mentioning POP - that set me on the right track.