Thread: Zimbra Mail Store Question (need to prove something)

Default Zimbra Mail Store Question (need to prove something)

We were testing the PST importer and a co-worker used a very large PST file with sensitive data to test with. I have read that deleting the mail will actually remove it from the file system. However I will need to prove that the data is gone.

Here are my questions

1) Does zimbra store messages on the disk according to an account or will messages be intermixed within the various sub directories of the store?

2) How can I prove that it was actually this data that was deleted from the mail store directory?

3) What is the best way to delete this mail? Just have the user account delete it or us zmmailbox command line utility?

If so how do I delete all messages for a single account with this command line utiltiy?

The help on this CL utility is scarce. When I searched on it I saw a post (related to deleting with a date range) that said this:

Code:
    The easiest way to do this is probably to use the zmmailbox command.

First, run search "in:inbox (after:1/15/07 before:2/15/07)". (Make sure that these are actually the messages you want to delete before proceeding!) Then collect the results of that search and run deleteMessage id1,id2,id3,... where the ids are the ones returned from the search.
    Now how does a newbie know to do this? Does this search have to be done within zmprov or some other CL function.

Thanks

Why not just delete the account and re-create it if you need it?

EDIT - you may also need/want to delete any backups that include that particular account. What you could do is delete the user, run a full backup and delete all prior backups.

Quote Originally Posted by dlochart View Post
    1) Does zimbra store messages on the disk according to an account or will messages be intermixed within the various sub directories of the store?
    Yes. Each mailbox has a number. (You'll see this number as the "mid" in lines in the logfile.) All the files under /opt/store/0/<mid>/msg belong to this user.

2) How can I prove that it was actually this data that was deleted from the mail store directory?
    Use grep to find a particular message in the filesystem. (You can also correlate the message number -- message files are named as msg#-change#.msg.) Delete the message from the web UI by moving to Trash and then emptying Trash. See if that file just went away.

3) What is the best way to delete this mail? Just have the user account delete it or us zmmailbox command line utility?
    Deleting a message is easiest via the web interface. However, in this case you may want to use zmmailbox deleteMessage msg# so you can be sure that the message file you're looking at correlates with the message you're deleting.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Quote Originally Posted by gmsmith View Post
    Why not just delete the account and re-create it if you need it?
    That is what I said but they wanted to know how to do it manually. The real thing was to be able to prove that the mail is off of the file system.

Now I learn that I also need to wipe out the persons calendar and personal mail/contact folders. Of course I said just delete the account. However I would like to be able to look into the database and see that the calendar and folder info is gone. Where is the calendar and personal folder info kept?

EDIT - you may also need/want to delete any backups that include that particular account. What you could do is delete the user, run a full backup and delete all prior backups.
    That is a good point (thanks). I was also asked another question. If a user deletes their entire mailbox accidently how do you restore their mail from a nightly backup?

thanks again

That is a good point (thanks). I was also asked another question. If a user deletes their entire mailbox accidently how do you restore their mail from a nightly backup?

thanks again
    For restore info you will want to take a look at: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...k_Edition_only

For restore info you will want to take a look at: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...k_Edition_only
    Thanks ... so far my main problem with zimbra has been documentation. There is some but it seems to be all over the place and for someone new (especially someone new to mail server administration) it makes it difficult.

Things can seem overwhelming at times, but there is an Admin manual (http://www.zimbra.com/products/documentation.html). That coupled with the wiki and the forums should be 10 times more information then you ever need/wanted to know

Things can seem overwhelming at times, but there is an Admin manual (http://www.zimbra.com/products/documentation.html). That coupled with the wiki and the forums should be 10 times more information then you ever need/wanted to know
    Maybe I should rephrase what I said. There may exist adequate information but the fact that it is scattered and not interlinked makes finding relative information fast is very difficult. The decision makers made a mistake and took us live before we had time to learn how to administer this thing properly. Thus my need to find information fast is of utmost importance. Using the forums can be great but many times i have went down 'gopher holes' only to find it is not what I really need or the final answer was not given.

Any way thanks for the help.

One more question ... I see (and hinted at in this thread) some powerful capabilities of the command line tools. Is there something on the wiki/forum or somewhere that explains ways to use them effectively? Yes I know there is some stuff in the admin pdf and a little more when you do a help on the command but it mainly does you good if you know what you are doing. I eluded to earlier about doing a search and using search results. Is that explained somewhere? I did not see it in the admin doc where it covered CL commands.

thanks