Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewing Schedules for Resources/Locations

Default Viewing Schedules for Resources/Locations

Is there a way to view the entire schedule of a Resource or Location in the Calendar?

As a user, I can view my whole week.

Can I view (and print) a whole week's worth of events taking place in the same Zimbra location?

Nope
    Sounds like a good enhancement.
    The only way to get a resource on a schedule is to book it.

NycSmart1 Guest

Let me expand on the question here. If someone books a resource, how do you tell who has done the booking? Say someone books a conference room and another, more important meeting needs to take place in that room. How would the new meeting creator contact the person who has the room reserved in order to let them know that the they need access to the room and need to move the original meeting?

This is pretty straightforward in other calendaring solutions as a user may be assigned as responsible for a resource, so you have a point of contact and you can usually login to the calendar as the resource to see who has booked it.

itmike,

Why not log into Zimbra as the resource, then print the calendar you're referring to?

I definitely agree with nycsmart1 on identifying who books a resource, but your original question.

I am not at my zimbra installation at the moment, but I'm nearly certain I printed output like you're asking about as a test, as the group needed that.

Anthony

NycSmart1 Guest

I tried logging in as the resource, but can not login. Are you sure that this works?

I just ran into this limitation on a trial Zimbra install and I want to make sure I understand it correctly:

There's no way for a user to view the calendar for a location (like a conference room) to help them pick a time for a meeting without logging in as the resource in question? There's no way to know if a given location is busy without trying to schedule it?

That just seems completely ridiculous - it's such an obvious feature I can't believe it's not already included. If I'm trying to set up a meeting in a conference room how am I supposed to know what times are available? What if I need to know who has a room booked?

Am I misunderstanding the whole concept here?

Default Not "whole" Concept

(It would be a good feature enhancement.)

What we did was log on to the meeting room resources and create "manager" level shares of the meeting room calendars for our office manager.

So she now prints out each room's daily schedule and hangs them outside the rooms each morning.

You COULD create "view" level calendar shares for everyone on the Zimbra server, and have them all set up those shared calendars in their own calendar view. Then they could actually view the room calendars directly.

It's a bit of effort, but it will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by itmike View Post
    You COULD create "view" level calendar shares for everyone on the Zimbra server, and have them all set up those shared calendars in their own calendar view. Then they could actually view the room calendars directly.
    How do you do this? I created an account for the conference room so I could log in as it and share the calendar, but I can't figure out how others can get access to it.

Default Right-click

Go to the Calendar tab.
    Right click the top occurrence of "Calendar" on the left-hand edge of the display and select "Share."

I believe you can use the "automatic" distribution lists that Zimbra has built in. So if you want to share with everyone, I *think* it'll work if you use "all@xxxx.com".

Obviously you want to make sure it's just "viewer" permissions for everyone.

I figured out how to share the calendar - what I couldn't do was view the shared calendar when logged in as a different user.

Now I know you're supposed to right-click on the word "Calendars" (does it say that anywhere? How was I suppose to figure that out?) and add it that way, but now I'm stuck at the "Path" field - what goes in there?

And why do I need to enter my own e-mail address when sharing my own calendar?