Thread: Mac Address Book to Zimbra Web Client Contacts

Default Mac Address Book to Zimbra Web Client Contacts

We're primarily a Windows shop, but have two Mac OS X users. I'm trying to move these two users from Mac's Mail.app to the Zimbra Web Client. Moving the email over is a piece of cake, but I'm stuck on the address book. Two questions/issues have come up:

1) Mail.app itself does not have an export to CSV option, but I've found a few small OSX apps that will do this. However, I'm unsure how/if the files exported from these apps will import into Zimbra. I'm looking at the Zimbra Wiki page on importing and exporting contacts, and I'm going to play around a bit, but if anyone has any insight on this and can pass it along it would be appreciated.

2) The Mac users are claiming that when they send/receive email in the Mail.app e-mail addresses are accumulated somewhere other than the Address Book. Anyone know where these addresses are saved and if it is possible to get them into a format that can be imported into Zimbra?

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    1) Mail.app itself does not have an export to CSV option, but I've found a few small OSX apps that will do this. However, I'm unsure how/if the files exported from these apps will import into Zimbra. I'm looking at the Zimbra Wiki page on importing and exporting contacts, and I'm going to play around a bit, but if anyone has any insight on this and can pass it along it would be appreciated.
    I belive that there is a thread that talks about the format for importing csv files. Do a search, I'm sure you'll find it. It's pretty easy (esp if you use Excel)
    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    2) The Mac users are claiming that when they send/receive email in the Mail.app e-mail addresses are accumulated somewhere other than the Address Book. Anyone know where these addresses are saved and if it is possible to get them into a format that can be imported into Zimbra?
    Without knowing where these magical user lists are, I don't think we can answer that. As far as I know, there shouldn't be. . however, there was another user who posted a thread of "The Case of the Magical Missing E-mails in Mail.app". . .oh wait. That was you

I think Mail.app keeps track of all addresses it has [recently] sent an email to...

Quote Originally Posted by addihetja View Post
    I think Mail.app keeps track of all addresses it has [recently] sent an email to...
    What he said.
    In Address Book.app, go to File:Back up Address Book. Save the backup somewhere.
    In mail.app, go to Window:Previous Recipients. Click the button to add some or all to Address Book.
    Have the user clean their Address Book to remove unwanted entries pulled in to Address Book from mail.app's Previous Recipients. Revert to Address Book backup if necessary.
    Use the Zimbra iSync conduit to copy the addresses from Address Book into Zimbra.
    If you don't have access to the iSync conduit, select all the addresses in Address Book, and drag them to the desktop. You'll get a .vcf containing all the entries. (Depending on the user's needs, you might want to go into Address Book's prefs and, under vcard, check the box to Export notes in vCards.)

- Adam

Smile AddressBookToCSV

Hi!

You can download AddressBookToCSV from Versiontracker: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23718

It does the trick. Some names (with Swedish characters ,,) might get strange though, but it works.

Cheers!

Default Mapping fields into ZImbra format

Hi can you help explain how to map Mac Address Book format contacts into Zimbra format so that i get all the phone numbers and stuff please?

Thanks

Costa
    ------------------------------
    http://www.lcrm.co.uk

Manual methods like this only go so far; what Zimbra needs is a live syncing of Address Book / Outlook contacts with Zimbra's contacts PLUS the ability to look up contacts via LDAP...

Hi can you help explain how to map Mac Address Book format contacts into Zimbra format so that i get all the phone numbers and stuff please?
    It was a few months ago, but here are the steps we used to get the Mac Address Book over to Zimbra:

1. Download, install, and run the Export Addresses script from the Mail Scripts (found here). We looked at the other program mentioned in a prior post, but if I remember correctly it only exported name and email address. This one lets you pick the fields, and if you have multiple address books you can choose which one(s) to export. This will allow you to create a .csv file for your Apple Address Book.

2. Have a look at the wiki page Import and Export of Contacts. The first line of your exported .csv file needs to be similar to the one described in the document. You don't need to have every field and they don't have to be in the same order, but the field headings need to match exactly what's described in the document.

3. Use the "Import from .CSV" section of the user's options, under the Address Book tab.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything. Following these steps worked pretty well for us.

Lightbulb Thanks

I will look into this when I get some time.

Thanks very much for your help

Costa
    ------------------------------
    http://www.lcrm.co.uk