Thread: Anybody use Penrose as Virtual Directory Server for GAL?

Default Anybody use Penrose as Virtual Directory Server for GAL?

We have a situation that can be solved by using a Virtual Directory server. We have a Zimbra domain and a Windows AD domain in different parts of the world. They are not and will integrate (they are actually growing apart) but they need to be able to see all people in both domains in the Global Address List.

What we want to do is put Penrose in between the client (Outlook) and the domains. Penrose supposedly can marry LDAP and other databases behind it and present a unified front to a client. This way we can point the Outlooks to the penrose server for the address lists. It sounds like a great idea but the documentation on this thing is minimal and unless you are an LDAP guru it is hard to grasp what to do. On the surface it looks great but the tutorials are either too high level or too low level.

Anybody ever use this product and or other with zimbra's ldap server in this way?

thanks

Yes I do.

We use penrose that colelct data from a mysql database it works very
    well, and it is very simple to implement, the tutorial on their website cold
    be sufficient.

I created a simply domain organizational unit an inetorgperson

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by lfasci View Post
    Yes I do.

We use penrose that colelct data from a mysql database it works very
    well, and it is very simple to implement, the tutorial on their website cold
    be sufficient.

I created a simply domain organizational unit an inetorgperson

Bye
    I did not find it simple at all. Now I have very little experience in LDAP and to me the docs at the time were not good at all and I did not have the luxury of days into weeks to hack at it. As soon as I asked for some basic help on the forum they offered their services at a cost. I don't hold that against them but it kind of goes against having a public forum.

I needed to merge Zimbra's GAL with a GAL in Active Directory and make it look like one directory which does not sound like what you did.

I solved it but just installing LDAP and creating an LDAP server/database with all the entries I needed and then update them manually.