Thread: Best practice for "Company Calendar"?

Default Best practice for "Company Calendar"?

I'd like to setup 1 or more company calendars that would be viewable by everyone in our company, and editable by a few. I've searched the forums to see what others are doing for this and it seems like either one particular person creates a new calendar and shares it, or we setup a new account and make that account's calendar shareable (is the point of the latter to avoid notification to anyone?).

But what if I am viewing the company calendar and I decide there is an event I really am interested in and I do want to receive notification about? I want a popup notification, but I also want an email notification of it. Is there a way to "subscribe" to an event on another calendar?

I could make an entry into my own calendar, but if the original is updated I get screwed.

Perhaps this is not the focus of shared calendars in Zimbra? Should we use a different tool for company calendars?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    I'd like to setup 1 or more company calendars that would be viewable by everyone in our company, and editable by a few. I've searched the forums to see what others are doing for this and it seems like either one particular person creates a new calendar and shares it, or we setup a new account and make that account's calendar shareable (is the point of the latter to avoid notification to anyone?).

But what if I am viewing the company calendar and I decide there is an event I really am interested in and I do want to receive notification about? I want a popup notification, but I also want an email notification of it. Is there a way to "subscribe" to an event on another calendar?

I could make an entry into my own calendar, but if the original is updated I get screwed.

Perhaps this is not the focus of shared calendars in Zimbra? Should we use a different tool for company calendars?
    I use the built-in admin account to create shared calendars and addressbooks. Some other folks create a new separate account for that. Either way, don't just share the calendar/addressbook from a regular user account, because if that user leaves, you have your work cutout for you to get things cleaned up.

The whole notification thing is an area where there are several bugs filed, but I haven't considered or seen the idea of 'subscribing' to get notified on a shared appt. Interesting idea.

The biggest problem right now with notification is that when you set your preference for 10 minutes before the appt, that's it. Every appt gives you a reminder 10 minutes before. If you find this inadequate/annoying, please vote for this bug: http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=8854

Thanks!

For some more complicated ways to push potentially several calendars into user accounts as needed, see also http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7861