Thread: Change Install Admin Email Address

Hybrid View

Default Change Install Admin Email Address

Hopefully a relatively easy question. Way back over a year ago when I first installed Zimbra and got to the configuration steps I basically took the defaults for most of the settings. Doing this setup the email domain as 'hostname.domain.com', instead of just 'domain.com', which is what I really wanted. I can't even remember what I did at the time to change this, other than getting some help from the forums. One thing I did not do, which I probably should have, was wipe everything out and start from scratch. I got everything working fine, continued testing, and have now been in production for the last few months. The only thing is every time I do an upgrade the admin email address for notifying Zimbra of the upgrade, etc. shows up as admin@hostname.domain.com. (I have a feeling this address may also be used somewhere else that I'm not aware of.) This is really just an annoyance to me, and shame on me for waiting until we were in production to address it, but now I just want to fix it. I didn't see any place in the Admin console to change this, and I didn't find any 'zm' commands to change the address, although I may have missed something. I did find the address in a couple of files in /opt/zimbra/conf directory, but didn't want to just go an edit files without knowing the consequences. So, can anyone tell me how or if I can change this address?

Thanks,
    John

Sorry, I have to bump this one. I've asked a lot of difficult, and maybe even sometimes off the wall, questions in these forums, which I don't always expect to get an answer for. But to me this one shouldn't be that bad. Obviously that notification / admin address is stored somewhere in the system, because it comes up automatically every time I do an upgrade. Maybe I'm missing something obvious and the answer is RTFM, or maybe the answer is I can't or shouldn't change the address at this point. But I have to believe there is an answer out there somewhere.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    John

The installer derives this value from the hostname during installs and upgrades. It's not really reading it from anywhere which is probably a bug for upgrades.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Really, it is deriving it from the 'hostname' every time I do an upgrade? So, am I missing someplace in the install / upgrade process where I can change this? If not, then can I at least change this value in the amavisd.conf file for virus/spam notifications?

Default found an answer here

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...ily-email.html

In short, log on as zimbra user, then
    zmlocalconfig -e smtp_destination=newuser@domain.com

zmlocalconfig with no parameters will show all parameters, just look for admin@hostname.domain.com and change all those with zmlocalconfig -e