Thread: Problem when restoring from incremental backup

Hybrid View

Default Problem when restoring from incremental backup

I have a problem restoring accounts from incremental backup.

I recently mounted a new volume to my system as /opt/zimbra/backup and copied all the backups to the new volume. Not sure if that could have caused this problem but restoring from a full backups is working fine.

When I select a users mailbox from one of the incremental backups in the list and try to do a restore I get the following error Can anyone pls. help:

com.zimbra.cs.backup.BackupServiceException: full backup required: incr-20070410.010009.549
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.BackupServiceException.FULL_B ACKUP_SESSION_REQUIRED(BackupServiceException.java :52)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.FileBackupTarget.getAccountSe ssion(FileBackupTarget.java:307)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.FileBackupTarget.restore(File BackupTarget.java:355)
    at com.zimbra.cs.backup.BackupManager.restore(BackupM anager.java:444)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.backup.Restore.handle(Restor e.java:124)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:262)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:162)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:84)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:223)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:709)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:162)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:802)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:126)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:105)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
    at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(A ccessLogValve.java:541)
    at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.servic e(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(H ttp11Processor.java:869)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11 ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProt ocol.java:667)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.process Socket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThr ead.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlR unnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Error code: backup.FULL_BACKUP_SESSION_REQUIRED
    Method: ZmCsfeCommand.prototype.invoke
    Details:soap:Sender

Same problem here.

Looks like it's only possible to do restore from full backups.
    But there's a checkbox at backup restore, includes incremental backup.

Try hitting HELP button. It describes, that you select FULL Backup and if you want to do incremental you have to select that checkbox!

HAd to do my first retore today. When you select the checkbox to apply incremental backup, there is no way to select wich incrementals to apply, or till which date you want to stop the backup.(i want to apply all incrementals till last tuesday for ex). In web admin interface, how to do this ?

If not possible how to do this in command line mode ?

I am actually in need of doing the same and found the same restriction on the admin interface. I was going to use the CLI and instead restore to a point in time but I cannot seem to find a format for the time. So if anybody is reading and is answering the initial post can you shed some light on the restoreToTime format please

I submitted a support case regarding this issue and the solution was to use a command line restore like this:

zmrestore -a user@yourdomain.com -ca -c -lb full-20070602.010007.983 -pre restored6_ -restoreToTime '20070606.010008.454'

This will restore the user's mailbox using full backup of date 2nd of June 2007 and rolling out incrementals till 6th of june 2007. The restore will be done to a account called restored6_<user>. if you wish to override the user account being restored you should skip the -pre parameter.

This worked for me but note that the dates are exactly the dates of the full backup and incremental backup as they were taken in my system. Also make sure the backups include the user mailbox you are trying to restore.