Thread: Issue Creating Contact Group

Default Issue Creating Contact Group

I've run into an issue when trying to create a Contact Group in the Zimbra Web Client by picking and choosing from a large group of Contacts. A user has several hundred contacts. He wants to create a contact group by scanning all his contacts and selecting the appropriate people to add to the group. My understanding is that entering a "*" in the 'Find' box and clicking on Search should return all members, but that does not seem to be the case. The search only returned a partial list, and I see no way to get to the subsequent contacts. Even clicking on the "Add All" button only adds the contacts listed. The number of contacts that is returned by the "*" search seems to be pretty random, or at least I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. For one user I worked with the search always returns 22 entries, for another the search returned 47 contacts. Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Also, related to this issue, but probably more of an enhancement request. One way around the problem, and also just a nice feature to have, would be to have the ability to search for all names that say for example start with the letter "A". Currently, if you do a search with "A*" it returns any name that contains "A". This really doesn't help when trying to scan through all contacts.

For reference, I'm running OSS version 4.5.4 on CentOS, and I've tried the web client with both FF 2.0 on Linux (FC6) and IE7 on WinXP.

I have definitely noticed that behavior as well. Not that that is helpful to you at all.

What I notice is that my * returns a list of 50 names in alphabetical order. So when I do it my account and search my Personal and Shared contacts, I get a list of 50 names and the list ends in the "C" area.

I think the problem is that what is missing is a "Next Page" button.
    Cheers,

Travis

"Let's look at this from a standpoint of "Status". What exactly, on the Space Craft, IS working?"
    -Flight Control, Apollo 13

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'd say those symptoms sound like bugs.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bug 16232 created for the no "next page" and inconsistent number of contacts returned issues.

I voted for it.

I have done my part. The outcome is beyond me.
    Cheers,

Travis

"Let's look at this from a standpoint of "Status". What exactly, on the Space Craft, IS working?"
    -Flight Control, Apollo 13

Looks like my bug was a dup of 16157.

I swear I searched bugzilla prior to posting and creating a new bug and didn't see this one.

In looking at this a bit further I noticed that bug 16157 has box for "Make bug visible only to reporter and Zimbra" checked. No wonder I couldn't find it when I did my searching. Why on earth would a bug like this be marked as private? Now the bug I created has basically been canceled, and other users will have problems finding and voting for 16157.

I'm having a client issue with this too now....I voted.

Unhappy

Has there been any resolution to this issue in 5.x? We're still on 4.5.10 and will look to upgrading to 5.x this summer.

It's a real pain not being able to see everyone in your contact list and just be able to scroll and click. Having a "next page" button would be 2nd best. Having neither is another grinding spot for our users.

Thx for any input!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by swu View Post
    Has there been any resolution to this issue in 5.x? We're still on 4.5.10 and will look to upgrading to 5.x this summer.
    Yes, you can check the bug report or the Product Portal.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.