Thread: Mail Replication with imapsync

Default Mail Replication with imapsync

I cobbled together some hardware in our office and installed Zimbra on a second machine. I'd like to use imapsync to replicate email each night. The only hurdle I can't overcome is the fact I need each account's password to auth to the primary server.

Other than having each user give me their password, is there any other way to authenticate? Can I pull the hashed password out of LDAP and authenticate with that? Can I temporarily reset their password, then restore it to their original password later? I'm pretty handy with perl/bash so I'm not afraid to code up a script or two to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Default Auth Plain

AUTH PLAIN should allow you to use the admin login on the Zimbra server to access any of the user accounts. See this thread (especially posts 18 and 20) for details of how to use AUTH PLAIN with imapsync.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Thanks for the reply. I took note of those postings and gave it a shot myself. It doesn't appear that port 7993 is open on either my source or destination Zimbra servers. What do I have to change to open those ports, or should I use a different port?

Thanks!

Default That's for SSL

You don't need port 7993 -- that's just if you want to use IMAPs instead of non-SSL IMAP. Use your normal IMAP port instead and don't force SSL.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Got it working!

For everyone else, here was my command to do a Zimbra -> Zimbra email replication using imapsync and AUTH PLAIN so I can connect as the admin user without needing to know each users password:

imapsync --host1 source.server.com --user1 username --authuser1 adminusername --password1 adminpassword --ssl1 --port1 993 --host2 destination.server.com --user2 username --password2 password --authmech2 PLAIN --ssl2 --port2 993 --syncinternaldates --subscribe --subscribed

In this scenario, source.server.com is my live server with all the email I want replicated, and destination.server.com is my backup server. I have all the accounts replicated on destination.server.com, but all the passwords are set to abc123.

I think we need a new "related topic" section for peoples imapsync recipes

Or some imapsync user-content on the wiki, too

Wink Good Point

I'll start something up there early in the week maybe and collect what I can find around the forums