Thread: Use ZCS MySQL for additional items a supported configuration?

Default Use ZCS MySQL for additional items a supported configuration?

We currently have a massive server running ZCS. I know the docs say that Zimbra should be the only bundle of services running on a server, however we are using this for a small business and the load just does not justify the server usage - especially when there is much more we need to do.

My question is: can we edit the ZCS apache vhosts and MySQL database to add additional services AND still be a supported configuration for our support contract?

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

No, don't do this, it's not supported and you run a high chance of getting your data wiped next zimbra ugprade.

Just run a normal mysql server from your OS - Zimbra sql runs on different ports and sockets, so they shouldn't interfere.

Default I assume this holds true with Apache as well?

Thanks for the quick response. If I read your email correctly, then a second MySQL database is cake - which is great. But since the Zimbra Apache installation is obviously using standard ports, I would read that means, "please do not touch ZCS Apache." Additonally, this would not preclude us from installing another instance of Apache, but we would need to set it up to use non-standard ports. Would you say this is correct?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by clincoln View Post
    Would you say this is correct?
    Yes, that's correct. If this is a new installation of Zimbra and there's nothing you don't mind losing and you want your apache on port 80 then then you could do the install again and change the Zimbra port. That's by far the easiest method of doing it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Very good - thanks! I think I might move for placing it on a different server instead... I'd rather not have to redirect people.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

Hi, there's no need to relocate or reinstall. Change the default zimbra ports to something else - say 85 instead of 80 (search forum for zimbraMailPort) and use a proxy to vhost through to it - search the wiki for how to do this.

Or switch zimbra to tls mode so it uses http/443, and use apache on port 80, if that is you don't need 443 for another site.

This sounds encouraging. We are a small business that hosts web sites for non-profits. We own a single Apple Intel XServe:
    w/4 CPUs
    2 gb memory
    raid 1 (mirroring) using 2x 750gb drives
    2 network interfaces
    Mac OS X 10.4.9 Tiger.

We run the websites off of the provided Apache/MySQL/PHP 4.x. Also running mailman listserver. Not really a lot of services given the horsepower but we will be hosting several more sites for non-profits so the load will be growing.

We'd like to invest in Zimbra Network to provide calendering/email/collaberation to our virtual domains. With all that I've seen in this forum, installing Zimbra on a non-dedicated box invites headaches.
    I am wondering if the headaches would be fairly minimal if we dedicate one of the network interfaces to Zimbra as well as running Zimbra Apache off of a port other than 80? I see that several people have done this but success has been spotty. Comments?

Still given