Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: User can't edit Address Book Entries!

Default User can't edit Address Book Entries!

Hello,

We have been trialling Zimbra for a few weeks and have been very impressed. However one of our users has just tried to edit one of her Address Book contacts and it silently fails.

I can edit my contacts on my machine, but if I connect as the user on the same machine, I can't edit hers.

This is using the Web front end; it appears to affect both Windows and MacOS using Firefox 2.0.0.3. There is no failure message in the front end.

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Cheers,
    David

Only one user?
    That's odd.

Take a look at the /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log to see if it throws any errors.

I checked the log file, but nothing appeared when the user tried to edit...

Would this happen to be similar to the changing of things once a user's username has been changed?

When you change usernames things like calendar entries cannot be changed because the creator's name isn't the same anymore.

If you renamed the user, try changing it back to the old one and try again.

Hopefully this helps.

Sorry, but we have not changed any details of this account. We created it and she imported (a fair number of) her contacts from Outlook. When she tries to edit, it fails. This is the first time she has tried to edit, so it may be an issue with the Import. However the lack of an error message is obviously the primary concern.

How did she import them ?
    With the PST import tool or some drag&drop inside Outlook ?

Second one is bad.

We exported her contacts into a .CSV from Outlook and then used the .CSV import in the Address Book options page.

Cheers,
    David

It gets stranger - I have imported the same contact list to my account and it appears that editing is only broken for some contacts (well, most of them really). Trying each of the contacts, the first 22 will not edit, but the 23rd will. The rest (241 all up) I have not tried as yet.

Update - I realised I wasn't clear enough with this email; I actually exported the contacts from the troublesome account (using Zimbra's Web interface) and imported them into my account (again using the Zimbra Web Interface) to replicate the problem. So whatever the problem with the entries is, Zimbra can maintain that issue across an export/import.
    Last edited by davidh; 05-02-2007 at 07:31 PM.

I've had success doing this by exporting to a CSV file with spaces as the delimiter. Then you go into Outlook and do an import, check that the Delimiter -> Contact is working properly and then finish the import. Once you synch up with the server they should appear in the users Web Client.

I've had some mixed results doing this, though nothing like this one. Mostly just transposed names or addresses, etc...It actually works, but things get mixed up sometimes. If this is something you only have to go and do a few times it's not bad, but if you're switching a large user base...

So far no problems so far though using files exported from web Zimbra being imported into web Zimbra.

Yep - other users don't have a problem; so it must be something specific with these contacts I assume. Without any way to further track down the problem I am a bit stumped right now.

Open to suggestions as to my next step!

Cheers,
    David